DIY Western Hunts

Yoda

Beginner
Feb 3, 2015
First and for most I have absolutely nothing in the works but have been thinking very heavy on this issue. We will more then likely be spending a fair amount of time in the Tahoe/Reno area after my wife retires (1 1/2 years away) our youngest lives out there, and Nevada looks like its a pretty retirement friendly state. Having never hunted big game out of the State of Michigan I'm not really knowing what to expect, I do know I get a headache looking at the rule and regs from most of the states out there, and the permit system holy smokes, I'm use to going to the store buying whatever license I wanted and I'm off hunting.. So here's a little bio on myself, I'm 55, in decent shape for a flat Lander, like doing things on my own for the most part, so I kinda set up a bucket list for myself for things I'd like to hunt if I get the chance, and the states I've been looking at are Idaho - Montana-Colorado and am open to suggestions. The critters I'd like to hunt in no particular order are Elk- Mule Deer_ Antelope and I'd like to hunt with a rifle, and if at all possible would like to be able to buy a OTC Tag until I figure out just what the heck I'm doing out there. And here are my starting out expectation :
ELK- Would like the first trip to be for a cow, I have no desire to shoot one from the truck, and would like it to be a hunt, getting to them shouldn't be a problem, getting one out could be (Remember Flat Lander lungs and 55+year old legs ) And I picked a cow hunt for a couple reasons, 1. Should be easiest to get a tag for-reasonable exceptions of getting a shot at one- and shouldn't be out a bunch of money if I physically can't do the hunt. Sound reasonable ?
Mule Deer-- just looking for a reasonable representative of the area I'm in, if its got branched antlers it could be in trouble.
Antelope-- I have no expectations for this one, buck or doe I guess, don't know anything about the critter, but its different.
Whitetails-- I've shot plenty of this and some pretty nice ones so they didn't make the bucket list but would hunt them if that's what's available.
Predators -- can do this in Nevada Crap by the looks of things I could even get a cougar tag OTC ....
So What do ya think, Is the above stuff DIY Doable without breaking the bank ?............. That for your input in advance.....

My first experience hunting out west was in 2013 when I hunted Montana with an outfitter, went back last year and am booked for two weeks with the same outfitter this fall.. I was 67 and also a flatlander when I went out in 2013.. If you can swing it, the convenience of a good outfitter allows you to focus on the hunt rather than fixing meals and all the logistics that go along with the hunt. I also count on my outfitter to help with obtaining tags and keeping me legal, hunting in the proper units etc..

I can understand the desire to DIY but I would rely on an outfitter to get a sense of what is involved hunting out west.. Good luck.. Rol

You may consider joining a hunting club in California. When I lived there, I belonged to a club that had 200 ranches you could hunt year round for pigs etc.

Idaho has "regular" seasons for elk, mule deer, and whitetail, and I believe OTC tags are available to out-of-staters. We also have "draw" hunts, which are better bets for "trophy" animals, as timing coincides better with ruts and hunter numbers are greatly diminished compared to the regular seasons. There are no preference points for the draw hunts, and out-of-staters can apply on those as well.

I believe Antelope are "draw" hunts only here (I've not hunted them, so don't know for sure...)

Wolf tags are available OTC as well. Limit is 3/yr. (Please fill all 3 -- you'll be accepted as a long-lost friend to most Idahoans if you do...)

As far as terrain, we have anything you want to hunt (with the exception of coastal lands). High mountain desert -- check. Thick, timbered alpine -- check. Rolling farm ground -- check. Deep river canyons -- check. Steep mountains -- check. Really remote pack-in back-country -- check. Basically, decide what you want to chase and the type of game, and odds are it's achievable as a DIY hunt here. In general, the easier/more accessible the hunt is, the lower the odds of success because of hunter pressure, and the harder/more gnarly the hunt is, the higher the success rate.

Very doable. I don't know Nevada's system very well but I do know other states nearby. Utah has a ton of cow elk as does Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. Fairly easy to draw and good success if you put in the time.

For antelope I would head to Wyoming. Easy draw or over the counter in most of the eastern half of the state. Look at walk in areas where you can gain access to private ground for your hunt, or hit up the chamber of commerce for landowners who allow access for a trespass fee.
As for mule deer, any state around Nevada will provide a decent chance at a representative buck.

Lots of good advice! Yes DIY western hunting is very feasible. Consider a subscription, now, to Eastman's.

Link: http://www.eastmans.com/

Not only do they feature a LOT of stories of DIY western hunts, but they have an excellent resource for info re different states, species, tags, and reasonable expectations. They are oriented towards the trophy hunter, but that's fine - and it give you a really good look at the hunting opportunities in the Western States. As a subscriber you get a lot more info than if you just pick up the magazine off the rack.

Pronghorn - look to Wyoming. There's around 500,000 of the critters! More likely to get a tag there than anywhere. Go for a buck tag, it's easy to add a doe tag or two, sometimes three, if you want, for minimal cost. Public land is okay, or you may well be better off paying a trespass fee to get on one of the many ranches. You'll likely have less competition from other hunters, on private land.

Elk - they're in many different states. Washington and Oregon have impressive elk herds, with two species, the rocky mountain elk and the coastal Roosevelt elk. Idaho has some good elk hunting, but some of the famous areas have been hard hit by the wolves in the past 10 years and suffered serious losses. Very serious - like some of the best elk hunting areas in the nation are now badly depleted. Pay attention to the regs, you'll see stuff like "spike only, true spike only, antlerless only, or branch antler only." Now and again you'll find the wonderful phrase "Any Elk" :grin:

I got a dandy bull on public land, hunting with a buddy, in Wyoming, but that was 15 years ago. I'm not a very serious elk hunter...

Mule deer hunting really gets me going, and I've taken a number of them over the years, mostly on public land, DIY hunts. No monsters, just bucks & does as they presented themselves and fit with my tag.

Blacktail hunting can be very interesting, and frustrating. A true trophy blacktail buck is a real prize.

Plenty of whitetail in the west, mostly in the river bottoms. Some bruisers too...

Consider, if you want, some of the very limited options - like "once in a lifetime" tags for bighorn sheep or moose... Idaho comes to mind for that.

Any interest in bears? Idaho, Montana, Washington and Oregon have large black bear populations. Many of the bears have terrific coats, in several different colors: chocolate, cinnamon, blonde, and of course, black. If they're feeding on berries in Aug/Sept the meat is good too. Bear hunting is a pretty big deal in Washington and Idaho.

Nevada itself has some really good hunting, but you're going to be playing the "draw" game for sure. Many states do have "OTC" over-the-counter tags for several species... Resident fees are far lower than non-resident fees.

Good luck, and pester us with questions!

Guy

Funny thing about Oregon mule deer is that the most coveted tags are those units on or near the Nevada border. They are long odds draw for residents much less a non-resident but lead me to believe a Nevada resident should be looking for tags up near the Oregon line. I usually draw, as a non-resident, an Oregon deer tag every other year. (Mule deer).
Colombian black tail deer are a real challenge, I hunted them a bunch in high school and college as I grew up on the wet side. Lots of public access and an over the counter tag with a long season.
Oregon elk hunting is not highly regarded by Eastmans, there are a bunch of us who hope it stays that way.

Lots of great info guys, keep it coming!!!!. I have killed one Michigan bear, years ago over bait , had ample opportunity over the years to shoot more, but nothing big enough, something besides " a Black " one would be interesting. From the research I've been doing it does seem this will be very doable and looking forward to attempting it...

I just started looking at Oregon and Utah interesting, SalmonChaser I take by your handle that's one of your past times ? we own a charter fishing service here in the great Lakes, salmon use to be our bread and butter fish..

Been chasing salmon and steelhead since I was little. Caught my first Kenai King when I was six, 1961. Spent most of my life in Oregon, fishing is good there as well. I guide in Alaska in the summer.
Our link to guiding salmon fishing goes beyond the obvious, my dad was a member of the team of scientists responsible for introducing salmon and steelhead into the great lakes.

Back