Do I need a Kimber .257 Bob???

Feb 18, 2011
My light rifle that I use for Deer and Antelope and also that my wife uses is a custom 270 shooting 130 noslers.

I have been recently intrigued about possibly purchasing a kimber in .257 Bob. Never owned the cartridge and don't know much about it. Would it do a good job as the Deer/Antelope rifle for Idaho muleys and speed goats? What about a possible sheep cartridge.

I really love the rifle it's in , just need to be sold on the cartridge...SELL ME!!!

HOW HAVE YOU LIVED THIS LONG WITHOUT A .257 BOB???? Man, correct that deficit right now. You'll soon throw rocks at that old .270. Well, okay, maybe not rocks, but the .257 Bob does rock. :mrgreen: (Are you sold yet?)

The .257 Roberts gets bad rap because of rifles built on 1888 Mauser's back in the 1930's. The lawyers still keep most factory ammo down in the 40K CUP range because of ancient history. However, Nosler and some other +P ammo manufacturers have started making competitive ammo with pressures up in the 50-55K CUP range.

I have a Browning FN (Mauser) custom made with a full length action and freebored long throat. The Nosler 110 AccuBond factory ammo gives me 3060 fps in my 24 inch barreled rifle. My handloads for the 85 grain BT's gives me 3395 fps in this rifle. Plus I can easily break 3100 fps with 100 grain Partitions in my rifle. It is very close to .25-06 performance with lower recoil and less powder.

As for hunting with the .257 Roberts, I had a Winchester Model 70 .257 Roberts for several years and killed several mule deer bucks with it in Wyoming and Utah. Honestly, I can not tell any difference between the .257 Roberts and the .25-06 in practice, using them both for mule deer and antelope hunting. A friend of mine has killed Pronghorn with the .257 and had good results with it. Plus, I have found the .257 to be a very accurate cartridge and very load tolerant of several different powders and bullets.

Yes if you look last year the Bob was sold as a Shot Show special in the M70 FW I'd imagine you can pick one up for around $800 versus the $1000-1200 for the Kimber.

The Bob is very underrated. Will nearly match a 25-06 with less powder. You will have no problem with specified game run 110AB or 120PT and your good to go. In a pinch would work for elk. Although I'd want more frontal and mass.

The Bob is pretty awesome. JOC thought highly of it as did Eleanor O'Connor.

For whitetails and speed goats it's all you'll need.

"Would it do a good job as the Deer/Antelope rifle for Idaho muleys and speed goats? What about a possible sheep cartridge."
That, along with an occasional varmint, is exactly what the 257 Roberts is for.

"I can not tell any difference between the .257 Roberts and the .25-06 in practice..." except it doesn't "need" a 24" barrel, uses less powder and doesn't bark quite as loud.

Sounds like you are sold! I think it is a great looking rifle and the cartridge has no lack of ability that I can tell, at all. Loaded to modern specs, it is very capable and it has to be a great mountain rifle. Hope it works out for you.

As Nvbroncrider has stated, you can pick up a Model 70 Shot Show special for considerably less than the Kimber, and then you'd have a Winchester.

I used to own a Ruger Model 77 in 6mm Remington. This cartridge uses the same case as the .257 Roberts and of course, the 7x57mm Mauser. I really liked the 6mm Rem but the .257 Roberts is a 6mm Rem on steroids! Mostly because of the 110 Nosler AccuBond which is a super bullet for the .257 Roberts at 3100 fps.

I am starting to work on loads using Hodgdon Hybred 100V powder with is a little slower than IMR 4350 and is very accurate and repeatable in my Lyman 55 powder measure.

DrMike":d4uyyuux said:
As Nvbroncrider has stated, you can pick up a Model 70 Shot Show special for considerably less than the Kimber, and then you'd have a Winchester.

That there, is why you are a Doctor and I am still a Marine... Wise beyond your years! :grin:

In all honesty, the 257 Roberts is just about the perfect deer/antelope round.
In a long action, you can seat the bullets out and take full advantage of the case volume.
Properly loaded, its not too far behind the 25-06. A 115 gr BT will shoot flat and hold up well against the wind with more than enough penetration for deer sized game.

Recoil is next to nothing and muzzle blast is mild. Accuracy is excellent too.

I am certain that if you get a Bob, you will soon wonder why you waited so long to get one.

JD338

I have two rifles chambered to the "Bob". A Ruger #1B that came with 100 rounds of 100 gr. Norma ammo. I don't think Norma even maked .257 Bob ammo anymore. THat stuff was a .50" average in the #1. The other is a Winchester M70 Featherweight push feeder that is starting to show promise with the 100 gr. Barnes TSX bullet. The one time I tried 120 gr. Speer Hot Cores in it, it didn't seem to like the load regarding accuracy but I'll be dinking with that one again once I get done with a couple of projects that come first. I do know that since I got them, the .243 has been sort of been in a limbo state. I'm thinking the #1 with it's longer throat just might take very nicely to those 120 gr. bullets, and if not, my #1 in 25-06 will. :grin: 8)
Paul B.

Paul, I would devote some time to fooling with the 110 AccuBond bullets. This bullet seems to have potentially 3100 fps speed, combined with perfect expansion characteristics for deer hunting. I also load the 85 Ballistic Tips because they will kill coyotes as far as I can see them flying at 3395 fps!

In his book of the rifle, Townsend Whelen said that the .257 Roberts was "perhaps the most useful rifle". Who can argue with Whelen.
I get 3080 fps with 49 grains of Reloder 22 in a Remington Case and 110 AccuBond from a 24" Remington 700. I'm pretty sure it will ruin the deer and antelopes play.

You guys know how I love my M70s, but don't discount the Kimber. I picked up a used Kimber Classic Select in .257 Bob with beautiful wood for the wife. It is finished very nicely and I love the way it carries. It's very slender at the bottom metal and feels great in the hand. It almost feels like a toy with a little Leupold VXIII 2.5-10 on it, but it still balances nicely. Oh yeah, it shoots about 3/4" with factory Nosler 110 ABs. Not bad for such a svelte little thing. I really do like the tight mid section on the Kimber stocks. My 84L Classic Select is the same way and a joy to carry as well. Now, if I can ever get home and start handloading for all these rifles I'll be a very happy guy.
Joe

Nothing wrong with that sort of accuracy, Joe. I do like the looks of the Kimbers.

If you have to ask that means you're thinking about it, which means you need it.

G'Day Fella's,

Idaho Trophy Hunter, as has already been mentioned, you need to Correct that Deficit asap!
You may not NEED a .257 Bob, but do you WANT one?

Myself, I have only ever had .25-06 rifles (Rem 700 since the 1980's and only recently a Kimber 84L Montana) but the .257 Roberts is also another mild recoiling, serious deer hunting rifle!

ITH, years ago now, I worked out that if all the bills have been paid, that there is food in the pantry and clothes on your back and shoes on your feet, the WORSE THING you can say is "Gee I Wish"!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Back