Do I need anything else? - Itch Scratched!

jimbires":1jhwvi4x said:
dun dun dun , and the arm twisting begins .

a Grice gun shop employee told me , need has very little to do with most items carried out of here .

Yes! This is a great place to have people alleviate your concerns about buying a rifle. When you need someone to help enable your decision to buy, you can count on your friends on the Nosler forum. So far they have helped me decide to purchase two rifles and are working on third. :lol:

Dan

truck driver":153jt09x said:
If I remember right you live just above Corning NY which is about 6-8hrs drive form me.
I could bring the 338 Wm and the 35 WAI up and let you shoot them with my loads one weekend or even threw the week since I'm retired.
Is there anyplace close by I could stay?

Rodger, I sent you a PM. Dan

Don’t feel too bad though. I’ve succumbed a few times myself. I’ve got a darned 325 WSM that I had no intention of ever messing with but a little angel prodded me in the buying process.

SJB358":16emvxx0 said:
Don’t feel too bad though. I’ve succumbed a few times myself. I’ve got a darned 325 WSM that I had no intention of ever messing with but a little angel prodded me in the buying process.

THERE IS A GOD! I am so grateful for those angels! Good move on your part, Scotty. (y)

NYDAN":1r5kr7i4 said:
FOTIS":1r5kr7i4 said:
No you're good. Any small game guns?

I have a right handed M700 in 22-250 but that is promised to a young protégé. Are there uses for varmint rifles in the western states? Dan

Heck yeah there are uses! I'd pick one between a 223 and a 25-06 if you dont have one thats a lefty, thats an easy buy! You have everything else out west covered with back up even. I wouldn't worry about going bigger unless you were going north.

Sounds like you need a LH Sako 85 in 338Win Mag or 9.3x62! My 9.3 shoot very well and isn't as hard on the shoulder as the 338 Win Mag. A LimbSaver pad will make abig difference!
Or find a used LH Sako AV in 338 Win Mag. Mine has the laminated stock.
Or that LH Rem 700 in 7mm could be rebarreled to a 338 Win Mag; again put a LimbSaver on it!
On my old LH Rem 700 in 338 Win Mag went from bruised and sore from 20 rounds off the bench with Federal Premium 210 gr PT's to not bruised or sore after 60 rounds of ammo off the bench with the LimbSaver pad on it! For elk, the 338 will provide extra reach, but within 300 yards, the 9.3 will damage less meat and still be great for bison, moose, elk and bear...or any african game including cape buffalo should you ever have the opportunity!

I would go with something odd to scratch the itch, 9.3x62 is fantastic. Ive been caught up with african dangerous game cartridges for awhile now. Just recently lost a bid on a ruger #1 450/400 nitro express. Which is the ruger #1 chambering i have looked this hardest for, but maybe next time lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":39k7t19b said:
I would go with something odd to scratch the itch, 9.3x62 is fantastic. Ive been caught up with african dangerous game cartridges for awhile now. Just recently lost a bid on a ruger #1 450/400 nitro express. Which is the ruger #1 chambering i have looked this hardest for, but maybe next time lol.

The 9.3x62 is a great cartridge. After all of you talking it up I had one made up and so far it has been a pile of fun. I had fun shooting that devil last Summer. I need to get out and tune it up and make it hunt ready soon.

Same for the 458 Win.

Cleveland48":3e4qfy3k said:

You and I need to talk so we’re not bidding against each other[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJB358":3o7mh69n said:
Cleveland48":3o7mh69n said:

The 9.3x62 is a great cartridge. After all of you talking it up I had one made up and so far it has been a pile of fun. I had fun shooting that devil last Summer. I need to get out and tune it up and make it hunt ready soon.

Same for the 458 Win.
Im waiting on that 458 range report! Lol

salmonchaser":1ipi49ps said:
Cleveland48":1ipi49ps said:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] it seems so lol

salmonchaser":33fc3ztw said:
Cleveland48":33fc3ztw said:

Did you end up winning that one?

No I haven’t bid on any of the larger calibers, yet. If you see Baumers Mountain that’s me, we’ll go flip a coin or something. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":3lav8o61 said:
No I haven’t bid on any of the larger calibers, yet. If you see Baumers Mountain that’s me, we’ll go flip a coin or something. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Haha [emoji106]

Have a custom one built. Buy a part , then when it shows up buy another etc. It’s usually a good month or 2 between parts.

I found another left hand Winchester M70. The only thing is that it is chambered in 7mmRM. It is an exact twin of what I already have. However, I plan to rebarrel one of the 7mmRM M70's to another cartridge. So, I am trying to think of the possible options with the .532" bolt face and compatible with the long magazine. So far, I can think of:

- 264 Win Mag.
- 300 Win Mag.
- 338 Win Mag.
- 308 Norma Mag. - (this looks a lot like a 300 Win Mag.)
- 350 Rem. Mag (but it is a short cartridge)
- 358 Norma Mag.
- 375 Ruger

Are there any other viable options?

I am seriously considering the 300 Win. Mag. and selling off the Montana Rifle Company 300 WSM.

Dan

Dan,
Consider the following-
28 Nosler
7mm RUM
30 Nosler
300 Wby
300 RUM
33 Nosler
338 RUM
375 H&H
375 Wby
375 RUM

I wish you were closer, you could shoot Sue's 30 Nosler.
I think you would be impressed with the performance and mild recoil.

JD338

Jim has presented some excellent suggestions. I know that I really enjoy the the 358 Norma Magnum and the 375 Ruger. Both can be amazingly accurate.

DrMike":1p11stz5 said:
Jim has presented some excellent suggestions. I know that I really enjoy the the 358 Norma Magnum and the 375 Ruger. Both can be amazingly accurate.

That’s where my brain went to right off before I read your words Mike. Both of those two are a simple rebarrel and feeding/function should be great.

Jump to a RUM case and you’ll have to monkey with feeding a bit to include rail work.

The 358 and 375 are pretty danged neat and the 358 Norma is a monster with today’s powders. Same for the 375 Ruger. Capacity wise the 375 Ruger is a basically the same as my 375 Improved but in a much easier package.

If you needed a .358 barrel, let me know as I have two and only need one of them. Ones a Krieger 1-10 3 contour and the other is a Benchmark 1-9.5 3 contour.

SJB358":2eobtaoc said:
The 358 and 375 are pretty danged neat and the 358 Norma is a monster with today’s powders. Same for the 375 Ruger. Capacity wise the 375 Ruger is a basically the same as my 375 Improved but in a much easier package.

My 358 NM delivers 2750 fps with excellent accuracy when slinging 280 grain A-Frames. It launches 200 grain TSX at 9200 fps, which is stepping right along. I have only worked briefly with the 275 grain Woodleigh, but it also is a high-stepping bullet. The 250 grain A-Frame moves along right smartly as well. Any of these would handle about anything one might encounter in NA, and elsewhere, as far as that goes. Add to that the availability of a barrel such as you offer, and the build is truly promising.

Back