E-Tip Loading Tips and Tricks?

HodgemanAK

Beginner
Oct 23, 2020
I've ordered up 100 of the .30 cal 180gr E-Tip bullets to try in my .300WSM.

It'll be my first real foray into load development with monumental bullets, any tips regarding seating depth, etc. compared to loading BT or AB bullets? I know the ABs like a long jump for best accuracy.

Components are scarce enough that I don't want to reinvent the wheel on load development if I can help it. Any advice that'll fast forward to a good hunting load will be much appreciated.

The E-Tips, like TSX & TTSX, deliver the best accuracy with a long jump to the lands. In this, they are much like the ABs. Nosler recommends a maximum charge of the mid-range of listed charges. In general, they work well with a little attention to avoiding attempting to run them hot.

Perfect. I'll use my current OAL for the 180AB and drop the charge weight and see how it works. This rifle hates the TSX (at least it did 15 years ago) so I'm hoping it will get along with the E-tip.

Each rifle is its own entity, liking what it likes and hating what it doesn't like. On the whole, E-Tips have worked for me across a wide variety of platforms. The largest jump I've employed was well over 0.100 inches, and the least was only about 0.070 inches.

Good info Dr Mike.

I have e-tips in 25 & 30 cal, but haven't messed with them very much. Have to admit that I was tempted to load up the 168 gr E-Tips in my 30-06 for the grizzly hunt. Figured that mono-metal bullet would penetrate wonderfully, and I'd still have good velocity. Chose the 200 gr Partition instead, but still wonder about that E-Tip. Perhaps I'll give them a try next season. :)

HodgemanAK - I think the 180 is a terrific weight for your WSM, hopefully your rifle likes them!

Guy

Back