E-Tip vs Ballistic Tip

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
Talk to me goose...

I can read the bullet description pitch but I'd like some real world feedback on this bullet compared to the BT

Any caliber is fine and especially 30 cal

Thx

From my buddy:
"E-Tips work well on game, basically just a Barnes with a green tip," and then he went on to tell me that he doesn't buy them as a component because the weights and lengths were all over the place.
I used BTs pretty much exclusively in my 25-06s before I switched to monos, and as you may know they're a great deer bullet. Can't go wrong with either

I've shot Etips in my 300wsm, 270wsm and 25-06, all shot and performed well except the last box for my 25-06. They were all over the place in weight and length as nhenry said and my 1/2" groups opened up to 2". It still shoots 115gr BT well, but for lead free I just bought some Hammers. They shoot and perform great in several other rifles.

Bought some 308 150gr E-tips from SPS loaded with RL19 in my Rem 700 BDL 30-06 and it was one of the most accurate loads I ever shot in this rifle. Only used one time on a whitetail deer, doe at 262 yds. Broadside shot thru the shoulders. Exit was maybe the size of a dime if that. Deer ran about 40yds no blood trail probably due to high hit and blood level hadn't reached the hole. Internal damage was fair amount, did the job. I just am used to more damage and bigger exit wounds. So, I never tried them again. I know one test, kill whatever doesn't make for good research just my personal experience. Dan.

I've used a 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM for some time now. It has performed well on quite a variety of game from as close as forty yards to as far as ~250 yards. The 200 grain E-Tip in my 338 Federal harvested a fine young moose at about 150 yards. The bullet was recovered, showing excellent expansion. I like the bullet.

I have only shot E Tips on paper but they proved to be very accurate in the 280AI, 257 Roberts, 338 RUM and 300 Blackout. All of the above shot the best with a .100" jump.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20190228_231504800.jpg
    IMG_20190228_231504800.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 12
Pragmatically speaking, most monos can be grouped together with respect to terminal performance. The ballistic tip can be grouped with more traditional cup and core bullets. The E tip and ballistic tip are at different parts of the spectrum in terms of design and performance. Both kill animals, but the necropsy looks very different when comparing the terminal results.

Post #4 by wvbuckbuster sums it up well for terminal performance and matches my experience. The mono bullets are going to expand and penetrate through to the vitals from about any presentation angle. My experience with Barnes bullets is the same as his with the E tip. They put the vitals out of commission, but it's not the "liquefication" you get with a ballistic tip for example. Not sure of the lower velocity expansion threshold for the e-tip vs ballistic tip, just be aware of that with respect to the longest shots you may take.

Everything is going toward all copper, getting on the wagon will put you ahead of the game. I've used Barnes for 30 years, which was well before lead bans were even on the map, because they work well and are as capable as any bullet on any shot angle to ensure a good outcome.

If I was choosing I would go e-tip and be happy ever after.

Second that.
If you want to have cup and core like results, use something like Lehigh or hammer (?).
E tip doesn't loose weight, so it works on a narrower channel, but way deeper.
BT's loose around 35% of their weight. That must go somewhere and does more damage on good shots, but they don't deliver the punch as deep.
There are fragmenting monos.
I use some.
Probably you will be more happy with them if you want more damage. And they have a shank that goes all the way. Smaller exit, but an exit non the less. Btw: the larger the game, the better the deforming monos seem to perform on reasonable distances.

Bought some 308 150gr E-tips from SPS loaded with RL19 in my Rem 700 BDL 30-06 and it was one of the most accurate loads I ever shot in this rifle. Only used one time on a whitetail deer, doe at 262 yds. Broadside shot thru the shoulders. Exit was maybe the size of a dime if that. Deer ran about 40yds no blood trail probably due to high hit and blood level hadn't reached the hole. Internal damage was fair amount, did the job. I just am used to more damage and bigger exit wounds. So, I never tried them again. I know one test, kill whatever doesn't make for good research just my personal experience. Dan.
Pragmatically speaking, most monos can be grouped together with respect to terminal performance. The ballistic tip can be grouped with more traditional cup and core bullets. The E tip and ballistic tip are at different parts of the spectrum in terms of design and performance. Both kill animals, but the necropsy looks very different when comparing the terminal results.

Post #4 by wvbuckbuster sums it up well for terminal performance and matches my experience. The mono bullets are going to expand and penetrate through to the vitals from about any presentation angle. My experience with Barnes bullets is the same as his with the E tip. They put the vitals out of commission, but it's not the "liquefication" you get with a ballistic tip for example. Not sure of the lower velocity expansion threshold for the e-tip vs ballistic tip, just be aware of that with respect to the longest shots you may take.

Everything is going toward all copper, getting on the wagon will put you ahead of the game. I've used Barnes for 30 years, which was well before lead bans were even on the map, because they work well and are as capable as any bullet on any shot angle to ensure a good outcome.

If I was choosing I would go e-tip and be happy ever after.
Second that.
If you want to have cup and core like results, use something like Lehigh or hammer (?).
E tip doesn't loose weight, so it works on a narrower channel, but way deeper.
BT's loose around 35% of their weight. That must go somewhere and does more damage on good shots, but they don't deliver the punch as deep.
There are fragmenting monos.
I use some.
Probably you will be more happy with them if you want more damage. And they have a shank that goes all the way. Smaller exit, but an exit non the less. Btw: the larger the game, the better the deforming monos seem to perform on reasonable distances.
Erratic performance on something like a Pennsylvania Whitetail...will continue to be a problem.
Back in the day...
One friend would swear by Barnes...the other would swear at Barnes.
Fail safe...same thing

And while bullets have come a long way in 30 years I don't care what the mfg spews....
Extremely difficult to have a bullet smash through heavy bone and perform well on a big Elk or Moose yet also perform flawlessly taking a thin skinned impact through the lungs on an Antelope or a PA whitetail.

I was more curious on the accuracy aspect as I found some 30 cal 180 gr E-tip's...
Especially since ballistic tip's might be obsolete..

Joking about the obsolete part. Kinda
Sorta

Just not available still worth a darn

I have 1 box of e-tips for a try in 308win and 300wm, but haven't loaded any yet. I might just put then in 300bo for a go?

Been fortunate to hunt Colorado 30 years for pronghorn, deer and elk. Speaking for the .270 Win, 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 35 Whelen AI, all but the 35 AI have taken a pronghorn, deer and elk with TSX's or TTSX's. 35 AI doesn't have a pronghorn to it's name like the others do, however the .358 200 TTSX is money on mule deer, elk and this year, 3 North Carolina whitetails. It's not the vital mush soup of a cup and core however they expand well with respect to all those chambering in my experience even on broadside impacts.

No bullet can be all things to all scenarios. However from experience for regular hunting, mono's cover the bases well with respect to terminal performance for most shots on game. From experience, they expand on broadside shots, not with the dramatic internal results of a cup and core but the animal is just as dead. They will penetrate and exit from any angle on a deer and exit almost any angle on an elk, which can't be said of cup and core. Meaning cup and core has the potential not to get to the vitals as well. I haven't experienced that because I've only used monos. But there are stories of issues that I think it's legitimate to say that. From experience monos are the most versatile for me.

Last edited:
Your 200 grain 35 Whelen mono stories are what got me on that track. Results speak for themselves.

Your 200 grain 35 Whelen mono stories are what got me on that track. Results speak for themselves.
I haven't been here for a while, so my earlier posts are what got you on that track? Wow, that's neat. The 200 TTSX is the holy grail in the Whelen or AI which I'm sure you've heard before, lol. BC of the 200 TTSX is higher than the 225 TSX. The additional velocity of the 200 TTSX and better trajectory makes the 225 TSX a bullet without a home, IMO.

Back