E-Tip vs Moose (How did Nosler Perform?)

Mike Fontaine

Beginner
Feb 28, 2006
Hi All,
Well, how did the Nosler E-Tip perform? Well, I'll start by saying that I had moose steak for dinner! But I would also like to give you some details, so here it goes...
A close friend of mine was picked in a moose hunt lottery for this year. I've been reloading for him ever since he accompanied me on my moose hunt last year and saw, first hand, what a Nosler bullet could do. Anyways, as soon as Nosler introduced the E-Tip he was determined to use this bullet on his hunt. I worked up some loads in 30-06 and we decided on 57g of RL22. Incredibly accurate up to 300 yards with at least 15% more penetration and destructive force than any factory load we tested against (in 180g). Anyway, on the last day of the hunt (10/13/07) we ran in to a large bull at 80 yards. Having a nice broadside view, my friend let one fly for a nice lung shot. Note: the muzzle blast alone should have knocked the moose down. Unfortunately, the moose bolted but we followed and were not far behind. I knew the moose was hit because my friend is an amazing shot and hunter. The moose was in view for a second shot and my friend took it (~100 yards). He saw the impact of the bullet and knew he hit the lungs. Again, the bull ran, but not far. A third shot into the vitals dropped him to his knees for just a few seconds and he was up and gone. Now, about 4-5 minutes after the first shot he had a chance at a rear angle shot and the moose was on the move but you could tell he was not doing well. My friend shot and the moose dropped. When we walked up to the moose he was dead and you could see that the first three shots (6 inch group) were great lung shots. The forth hit his rear hip and was what brought him down. Since we were going to butcher the moose ourselves, it was a great opportunity to do a little CSI work on the moose. The first 3 shots definitely went through the lungs. Two of the exit holes were nearly identical (in size) to the entrance holes. The third hit the rib on the back side (fragmented the rib) and presented an exit wound about the size of a quarter. This must be the one that made him fall. My friend commented that it looked like he was using competition match bullets on this animal. I was a little shocked that there was virtually no expansion of the bullets on such a large animal (dressed-out at 720#). Since the bullets passed right through there was no opportunity to examine the bullets. Here is where it get interesting, there was no exit would for the forth bullet that hit the bull in the rear hip. We were on a mission to find this bullet. When we opened up the moose, we quickly saw what massive damage this bullet could do. The hip joint was completely fragmented (15+ pieces). The bullet must have expanded at this point because immediately behind the hip was a hole the size a a football. We also found the bullet (see below). I can't believe the bullet stayed together. Final bullet mass 166.6g. Only a 7.4% loss in mass after hitting a huge joint is amazing. I usually get a 30% loss in mass just hitting soft tissue.
So my assessment on the E-tip is that I still need to do more testing but I will say I was a little disappointed with the bullet expansion. Again, there are many variables to examine before I decide where the E-Tips fit into my hunting repertoire :wink:

showphoto.php
http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=523384&sort=7&thecat=556&password=

523385.jpg

523384.jpg

Now I can see the photos! Looks like that E-tip worked out real well. Congrats!

Excellent performance based on the pics and the journey the bullet had!
Interesting on the lack of expansion regardiing the other shots. Do you have any pics of the exits wounds? Would be good information to share.

JD338

I am just not a fan of any solid copper type bullet. I want lead in my bullets the performance is second to none. I would bet that with the 180gr Partition or AccuBond the follow up shots would not have been required.

Eastern moose are dropped in their track regularly with 150gr 277 and 180gr 308 partitions.

The bullet looks as if it performed very well. Moose are very large and not all drop in their tracks. Ive seen 5 moose shoot and one ran 300 yards with 2 shots right behind the shoulder. Some just dont like to give up.

What did the lungs look like? What kind of damage was there, did it appear that the bullet caused massive internal damage?

I have shot a few moose here in northern BC, and several with an all copper bullet of another company. All the moose I have shot have died, though some did manage to run up to 60 yards. It doesn't sound as if your bullet failed in any manner, but rather worked to provide the penetration needed to cleanly kill the animal. Sounds like a good hunt to me, and seems as if the E-tip performed quite well. Congratulations.

phutch30

Very little "meat " damage as a result of the broad-side shots. The 4th shot that hit the bone (in pic) was the only one that appeared to expand and did cause massive damage as described above. Nosler (correct me if I'm wrong) but I pretty sure the E-Tip is not all copper but some alloy mix???
By the way, I dropped a moose last year (nearly same size) with my 7mm mag and an Nosler Ballistic Tip (140g) :shock:
The bullet did not make it out the other side but fragmented into many pieces and did much much more damage than the 3 E-tips into the same area of this moose. Again, this is only one "case study" and I will end by saying I love all of Nosler's products.
Mike :)

Mike Fontaine":2p0mej8t said:
phutch30

Very little "meat " damage as a result of the broad-side shots. The 4th shot that hit the bone (in pic) was the only one that appeared to expand and did cause massive damage as described above. Nosler (correct me if I'm wrong) but I pretty sure the E-Tip is not all copper but some alloy mix???
Noslers E-tip is made of their gluiding medal, I was refering to any bullet that dosn't have lead it the tip. This type of bullet leans toward more penitration than expantion and there is little to no peices of the bullet fragmenting of to damage vital body parts like veins and lungs.

Small bullets like the Partition 277-150gr and 264-140gr have a undisputable record for killing moose with heart/lung shots, and larger bullets like the 308/180gr, 338-225gr, and 358-250gr are just plain better still. So with using copper tipped bullets spiecaly with the larger caliber bullets your actual giving up performance unless you are taking rear-end shots. Each individual moose or elk is diffrent and some don't seem to know they should be dead when shot, but the discribed sinerio was not good in my book and just what I would expect from a bullet that retains that much weight after expanding.

Thank you for the report. Glad your buddy got his moose.

Back