Elk Hunt Ammuniution Help

SJB358":qq9tt3il said:
I'll vote with the others, if the 150 ABLR's shoot, I'd run them. Neither is a bad choice, and you have solid bullets that'll do the work.

My great friend runs an outfit out of Idaho and has a loaner 270 Win in camp for folks that come to the states without a rifle and just use the camp rifle. He has a pretty large pile of 130 grain Core Lokt's from the 17.99 box of ammo he buys since it was most accurate. He (other hunters) has taken many elk, black bear, mule deer and lions with that combo and has not lost an animal. A couple of the bulls were taken out at the 400 yard mark and the recovered bullets look picture perfect in my opinion.

He is not a real "gunny" sort as we are and just makes sure the hunter can put his shots in a softball at 200 yards and relies on hunting to do the work. Pretty simple way of doing business and it is hard to argue with the results. Makes me wonder sometimes how much we overthink our stuff, cause I am just about danged sure none of us here hunt with anything that is less reliable than that combo..
>>> the cor-loct is very underrated bullet. has anyone done the water jug test? say the 130 .277 or .308 150 grain at 3, 100 plus MV?

lhsako":238yshjw said:
SJB358":238yshjw said:
I'll vote with the others, if the 150 ABLR's shoot, I'd run them. Neither is a bad choice, and you have solid bullets that'll do the work.

My great friend runs an outfit out of Idaho and has a loaner 270 Win in camp for folks that come to the states without a rifle and just use the camp rifle. He has a pretty large pile of 130 grain Core Lokt's from the 17.99 box of ammo he buys since it was most accurate. He (other hunters) has taken many elk, black bear, mule deer and lions with that combo and has not lost an animal. A couple of the bulls were taken out at the 400 yard mark and the recovered bullets look picture perfect in my opinion.

He is not a real "gunny" sort as we are and just makes sure the hunter can put his shots in a softball at 200 yards and relies on hunting to do the work. Pretty simple way of doing business and it is hard to argue with the results. Makes me wonder sometimes how much we overthink our stuff, cause I am just about danged sure none of us here hunt with anything that is less reliable than that combo..
>>> the cor-loct is very underrated bullet. has anyone done the water jug test? say the 130 .277 or .308 150 grain at 3, 100 plus MV?

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=22469

Back