Elk with a 7mm Accubond?

Firehawk

Beginner
Dec 16, 2004
I have a 7mm Rem Mag that loves to shoot the 160 grain AccuBond loaded hot. I shoot very small groups. I used to get great results with the 160 Partitions with this rifle but recently it seems to have "loosened" up on the groups a bit.

Anyway, I drew a cow tag for an area near my home in Utah that is hilly with lots of oak low and open sage on the ridges. I have taken muleys in the 400 yard range here.

How does the 160 AccuBond perform on elk sized game? I have seen many posts for the larger diameter Accubonds, but not many on the .284 bullets.

Do I need to avoid shooting the shoulders? I like the idea of anchoring them where they stand rather than letting them run a while before falling over, so the mid to high shoulder shot, with the right bullet of course, should help in this endeavor.

Thanks!

Firehawk

Took a cow elk last year in New Mexico shooting a 7mmRemMag loaded with 160 gr AB pushed by 60 grs of 4350 at about 250 yds. 1st shot hit the shoulder and exited the neck. 2nd shot other side behind the shoulder passing straight through the ribs. Both shots would have been relatively quickly fatal with no signs of fragmentation. I would think you are good to go!

jd

Thanks for making me feel better. Reading some people's opinion would lead me to believe that I need a Howitser and an exploding tip to get an elk on the ground.

I have never shot at an elk with a rifle and still look forward to this opportunity. I have mainly hunted with a Muzzleloader the past few years. My particular 7mm Rem Mag loves those 160 grain Accubonds. I wil regularly shoot groups under a dime at 100 yards. I have not run them over a Chrony so I don't know what velocity I am really getting, but I would assume around 2950 fps at the muzzle.

Thanks again!

John

You are more than safe. I've hunted elk all my life and my favorite round is a 7mm 160 gr bullet. With a bonded bullet like an AB, you will be fine about anywhere you place it. Others, I wouldn't take the chance, especially at greater distances.

Bottomline is you will be fine with a 160 gr bullet on elk out of a 7mm. I hunt with people that shoot 140 gr bullets from their 270, but that discussion is for another day! :?

I think 160's out of a 7mm are more than fine. The 7mm is a gun that is a velocity gun in my opinion. So 160 is about the perfect bullet for it in my opinion.

My dad shot lots of elk with 130's out of his .270 just have to pick your shots. I prefer my .300 but that is just personal choice, I would have no problem carrying my .280 for elk. Which I used to do. Loaded with 140 partitions. Good luck and enjoy your hunt.

Back