Enough hunting bullets!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Last night I caught myself browsing SPS, Midway & Grafs, looking for hunting bullets...

Why??? I paused, went to the cupboards where I keep my reloading supplies and looked at all the bullets... Someday I'll likely need more match bullets. And maybe some more varmint bullets. But hunting bullets? No... I don't EVER need to buy any more hunting bullets for any reason... :shock: Ever! Well, if Washington goes all crazy and institutes a "no-lead" bullet policy, then I'd need to get some E-Tips in my favorite calibers. Otherwise I'm set for life, and I suspect my son is too... Nice to have caught a few good sales from SPS over the years. I literally won't ever need more .257, .308 or .375 hunting bullets... That's kind of cool.

Guy

Way to go, Guy. I am in the same boat. I have enough Hornady, Speer and Noslers to last me the rest of my days and then some. Kinda like going into a candy store. So many choices.

Guy

These days it sometimes impossible to find what you are looking for. Having an inventory of what you use is always a good idea. I too have a stash of a few bullets that work for me. ;)

JD338

...you should start investing in some 6.5mm bullets, Guy... :roll: :shock: :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Yeah, powder and primers are in adequate supply for now, but I could use another 8 pounds of H4350 sometime in the next few months...

I have primers pretty well covered for at least another year or two. I have powder for this year and I have Nosler bullets, 10 boxes of AB's and 20 boxes (50) of Partitions. Plus I have about 15 boxes of factory ammo, just for rifles.

I have enough 180 gr Partitions to last until I move on. Also I am fat on Primers, with enough of those for two or three of us, as well as enough 7 mm bullets to last past when I will need them. What I would like is some Varget, which I am sure that I will be able to locate in the not to distant future. If things got bad I could open some "cans" of 4831, 4895 or 4064 to hold me over for at least several months.

If I could get a 8lber of RL15 & other in IMR4350 then I would almost be set in powder. I do need 5 boxes of ABLRs in 150gr. in 284 & also I could use at least 5 boxes of ABs 130gr in 277. After that I should be set for the remainder of my shooting years :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Osprey78":35jyxqkn said:
Well, now we know why there is a component shortage, eh?

:wink: :mrgreen:

Yeah, most of the bullets purchased over the past few years. Fat on:

.20 32 B-Tips
.25 115 B-Tips
.25 115 Partitions
.30 165 B-Tips
.30 165 Partitions
.375 Odd assortment of 800+ bullets, 235-300 grains, heavy on 270 Hornady

Quite a few others, but those are the rifle bullets numbering above 400 each. I'd say that's enough to fill the freezer until I can't get out and hunt anymore.

Guy

Yup. I'd say so. I've got a healthy amount of 250 PTs for both the 338 and 35's but you have me licked!

I hate to admit it also but ever since the shortage I have had no problems to Speak of. All it did was keep me from trying new bullets & powder to try something different. My go to loads I'm good to Go. As a Trap shooter I'm use to buying bulk & I hope to find the time to hunt & shoot what I have, I do have the itch to try some new high BC bullets though. Good Shooting

I have enough .338 210 Partitions and 9.3mm bullets to hold me for a couple years of shooting. I hope by then Obama is gone and we can start undoing what he has done!

1100 Remington Man":rjbqsckr said:
I hate to admit it also but ever since the shortage I have had no problems to Speak of. All it did was keep me from trying new bullets & powder to try something different. My go to loads I'm good to Go. As a Trap shooter I'm use to buying bulk & I hope to find the time to hunt & shoot what I have, I do have the itch to try some new high BC bullets though. Good Shooting

Agree. Sometime, years ago, I made the shift from boxes of 100 bullets and a pound of powder, to buying 8 pounds of powder, and 500 - 1000 (or more) bullets.

Was a big change in my handloading. Before that I was described as a "tinkerer" now I'm more of a production loader. I know what I want, and I build a lot of it.

Guy

Well I got lots maybe more that enough. 1000 22 cal I don't have an idea on 7mm numbers but enough and 338 well stocked as well as my others. Now just need a solid 3 man crew at the bench for about 8 hours for my 5.56 reloading project now that I have powder.

It is an illness, I don't even want to think about how many bullets I have. I'm sure it is in excess of 20k. That is everything from varmint to handgun, plus a half ton of shot.

When I think about it, I know that I have more .257, 7mm, .338 and 9.3 Partitions than any store in Washington!

Back