Environmental data question

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
I think I am doing this correctly but thought I'd check. I'm using the shooter app for long range ballistics data in conjunction with a kestrel for gathering atmospheric conditions. When I take a barometric pressure reading, it is a pressure referenced to an altitude. I know my house is at 212 feet so I set the barometer to reference fom that altitude. So when I go out to shoot, the place I usually go is around 1700'. Today I think the barometer measured something around 28.58. If I check the box in the program that says "pressure is absolute", then I would just plug in whatever barometer reading I get at the shooting location right? Otherwise it asks for altitude and station pressure. Is one method more accurate than the other? Seems like the more I read the more confused on the subject I get, and I think there is a lot of bad info out there on the subject....so if you've got it figured out straighten me out please!

Right, if the pressure absolute option is checked, it greys out the altitude box. My question is more on what reading from my kestrel do I use I guess. Should I set the reference altitude while at a known elevation and then use the barometer number for wherever I'm at, or should I set the reference altitude for the barometer at zero so that it is uncorrected for elevation?

Back