Ever had a powder that . . .

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Just does not work for you? No matter what rifle, what bullet etc.... and no matter how much success others have had with it; it just does not work for you?

Varget is my #1 nemesis. Tried it in a couple 7m-08's and a couple 308's and it just will not shoot good groups.

Long

Long,

Varget is awesome in my 22-250 and 7-30 Waters Contender. Under .5" groups for both.
Guess I am just lucky. :roll:

JD338

Varget the best powder for 308 and 7mm08 except everyone I have used it for. Try H414 I have had great results.

JD,

I know many have had great success with Varget. . . just not me. Now if we are talking RE 15 I cannot seem to go wrong with this powder. Just cannot figure out Varget.

Long

longwinters,

I shoot 4350 in my 7-08 with 150gr B-Tips. This is one of my best shooting rifles. I bought the rifle for a silhoute round, so it's loaded at max. ( caution ) I've also had great luck with some of the Viht powders.

I use RL-15 in 308, 300 Savage, 303 British and 7.62x54R. Results are good enough that trying other powders isn't needed.

ZM

Might be fun and interesting to have a friend load up some outwardly identical .308 ammo... And have you shoot it "blind." Not knowing if you're shooting IMR 4064, Reloader 15, H4895 or Varget under identical 168 grain Nosler match bullets in match grade cases with match grade primers...

Shoot several 5-shot groups of each, at 300 yards, and see if the Varget still disappoints... There are however, a bunch of other powders that could be substituted, your Reloader 15 or IMR 4064 produce excellent accuracy in most .308's.

I have run across some bullets that just wouldn't shoot worth a darned, but most reasonable powder choices have produced good accuracy in my rifles.

Regards, Guy

So am I the only Powder Challenged reloader on this site :oops: No one else? Come on fess up.

Long

nope here too...

I picked one powder for working up a load in my 7x57 tried 3 or 4 different bullets best I could get was 6 inches.

changed to different powder narrowed it right down!

cannot remember specifics right now....

I am trying ONE powder in my 25 wssm and running through the bullet selections, hopefully the first draft was the bullet not the powder. time will tell..

longwinters":2rd5kzc3 said:
So am I the only Powder Challenged reloader on this site :oops: No one else? Come on fess up.

Long

Nope, you're not. Some of the old pre-buyout Accurate powders from all over the globe seemed like losers to me; not so much in their inability to group as in their outstandingly loud and violent muzzle blasts.

As for Varget, it is one of the few powders which I tried in a one pound canister once before bumping up to eight pounds. It just plain works in my 7mm-08s as well as 204, 6.5X55, 375 H&H and others. It is an "easy" powder in my experience.

Varget is awesome in the .243! I am loading 42.7grs behind a 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I get an average velocity of 3454fps for 5 shots and at 125 yards a 5 shot group of 0.354.

For some reason H4350 would not shoot very well for me, even though it was the powder recommended that I use. So going on recommendations of other .243 shooters that I know Varget was suggested, followed by H414 and N160.

regards,

Michael.

For me it was RL15 in the 35 Whelen. It groups good, but velocity is disapointing. I start seeing preassure signs at 56.5 gr.

I was thinking of trying Varget in my 308. But W748 and AA2520 both shoot well.

If I had to pick favorites it would be those two. W748 works well for me in 223, 308 and 30-30. AA2520 works well for me in 223, 308 and 8x57. Thinking of trying it in the 35 Whelen.

Zeke, any chance of sharing your RL15 load for the 7.62x54R?

H4198!

In 356, 450 marlin, 45-70, 444 etc.

Never ever gave me a decent group!

Back