Factory Loads vs Hand Loads

YakAk

Beginner
Dec 6, 2009
While I was hunting around for factory loads for my 338-06 I noticed that both Weatherby and Nosler both make "custom" factory loads for the 338-06.

Weatherby claims with a 210gr PT, to have a muzzle velocity of 2750 and muzzle energy of 3527. Nosler claims with the same bullet a 210 PT, to have a muzzle velocity of 2725 and muzzle energy of 3462. Slight edge goes to the Wheatherby loads.

The question is, what can I gain by hand loading?

Thanks,
Steve

You won't gain much in velocity by hand loading (if anything). You will gain the satisfaction of knowing that you "rolled your own." You will be able to load to a custom length that matches your chamber. You will be able to play with other bullets that may be of interest. You will be able to play with charge variations to "fine tune" the load to match optimum harmonics for your barrel. Consequently, the difference between the Weatherby and Nosler velocities evaporates in the real world, and consequently, the difference in energy becomes inconsequential in the field.

+1 on DrMike's comments.
Remember.... "Numbers" don't impress an Elk or Deer.

+2 to Dr. Mike & Teknys comments.

Reloading gives you the ability to fine tune your load to your rifle, and possibly but not always come up with the most accurate load in your rifle. The satisfaction from shooting game with our own ammunition that we sat down and carefully assembled only adds more to the hunt and to each and every animal we harvest for our table.

I can sit down in my MAN CAVE downstairs and close the door and tune out everything. I don't even have a radio playing on low because I want to concentrate on the task at hand, and loading ammunition is NOT a time for distraction. I can sit down and get started, and before I know it four hours has gone by. It's a lot of fun and very enjoyable.

I do not own a 338/06 myself, but it sure looks like it is a winner and the ballistics are not that far off from the .338 Winchester Magnum, but without some of the blast and the kick. I could see this caliber on my future wish list for sure. Good luck with your rifle. Either Nosler or Weatherby ammo will in all likelyhood work great in your rifle if you don't build your own. 8)

+3 to what Dr Mike said. Tweak for max accuracy.

JD338

If you shoot a fair quantity of ammunition, I'd say there's likely a significant cost advantage to loading your own as well.

Many years ago I saw a marked improvement by handloading. Today, there is some really good "custom" ammo and factory ammo available, offering excellent performance!

If you're only shooting a couple of boxes of ammo - why not just buy it from Nosler or Weatherby?

Regards, Guy

Everything these fellas said is spot on but I would like to add that reloading your own is also easier on your wallet if you tend to shoot a lot. I shoot my hunting rifles as much as I can & I also shoot IPSC. Practice once a week & 3 matches a month eats up a lot of ammo, without reloading I could not afford to shoot as much as I like.

"Semper Fi"

Guy and Jar Head,

Whenever I introduce someone to hand loading, the issue of cost almost always comes up. I have learned to caution people that they likely will not save any money. However, I temper that by pointing out that they will shoot more and thus they will likely become better shots. I am sometimes embarrassed by the number of cases and bullets that are available to me on my shelves. However, that is a significant part of the great pleasure that I derive from making my own ammunition. Also, I can load down for my grandchildren, my wife or my daughters by custom tailoring a load that they will enjoy shooting. It is always fun to have family share a day at the range or walking through the fields. I am really looking forward to taking my grandchildren deer hunting over the coming several years.

I have been using the RCBS RC press for years and now Im building a relaoding room with all new equipment. I was thinking about getting the Lyman T-mag turret press and a RCBS chargemaster 1500. Any pros and cons would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Rolling your own makes it your own and you control the particulars, the specifics, the variables and that is why I roll my own.

It really is not how much it cost me, how accurate I get it or how fast, which all these things are icing on the cake. It all comes now to the fact I own it, its mine and uniquely mine.

You wrote: "The question is, what can I gain by hand loading?" As Mike said, You will gain the satisfaction of knowing that you "rolled your own."

6mm Remington:
The satisfaction from shooting game with our own ammunition that we sat down and carefully assembled only adds more to the hunt and to each and every animal we harvest for our table.

Bullet:
You will gain the satisfaction of knowing that you "rolled your own."

Swamp Hunter, The RC has served both my dad and I well over the years. He actually gave me his kit about 6 years ago. Since that time, the best reloading investments/time savers I've added are the Chargemaster 1500, Case Prep station, and Lee case length gages/cutter. I sold all the other stuff that came with the kit, but the RC press will probably be my kid's someday and he can load ammo for me when I'm old and wrinkly. I don't have any kids yet, so that may be a while :)

Thanks everyone good advice from all. The logistics of getting just about anything here where I live is a bit tiresome sometimes. So ammo as well as powder takes some planning. I will start with some custom factory loads then look into buying the minimal equipment. There is a lot of hand loaders in my town to get me on my merry way.

6mm Remington, I am excited for the arrival of my 338-06. The 338 win mag is the standard choice up here but I must say I am a recoil whimp. So the 338-06 is my compromise into the 338 class. My 300wsm has been just fine taking moose and deer and I really never been happier with a big game gun, but you know how it is when you get the itch for a new gun.

Thanks again all,
Steve

YakAk

The 210 gr PT is an excellent choice for your 338-06. When you get ready to start loading, try RL 15 and IMR 4064 powders. They should get you to where you want to be.

JD338

DrMike":2qy8hjfb said:
You won't gain much in velocity by hand loading (if anything). You will gain the satisfaction of knowing that you "rolled your own." You will be able to load to a custom length that matches your chamber. You will be able to play with other bullets that may be of interest. You will be able to play with charge variations to "fine tune" the load to match optimum harmonics for your barrel. Consequently, the difference between the Weatherby and Nosler velocities evaporates in the real world, and consequently, the difference in energy becomes inconsequential in the field.

The aforementioned statement pretty much covers everything.
These days with technology reaching new heights we can note even get close to some factory loads on speed, etc. Too many specialized components which we do not have access to.

The only reason that I see for reloading is that at first, you have an interest in doing so, that quickly beocmes a passion! Tread carefully, because the passion can consume lots of your time, ruin your marriage, drive your children away from you, suck up rent money...........you get the idea.
That said, if you get into hand loading and do develop the passion already mentioned, you will find that the rewards are unmeasurable......and plus, you get to come here and argue incredibly esoteric details!
Steven A. (hand loading since the '60s)

roysclockgun":3m2mj9dx said:
.and plus, you get to come here and argue incredibly esoteric details!

AMEN!!!!!!!!! AMEN!!!!!!!!! AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! WELL SAID INDEED :lol: :lol:

I find that I save money per bullet but I end up shooting way more that I would if I bought factory ammo. I really like the feeling of "rolling my own", and as much as some of my guns have erked me when I'm trying to develope load for them, when it finally shoots the way I want it to a guy feels pretty dang good about it!

Plus being a farmer I need something to keep me busy during the winter months :wink:

All you need to do is buy a Weatherby that uses the 378 case and at more than 5 bucks a shot I think you will see the need to reload! Even if you can afford to buy the shells, it's the pride that you made them that makes it worth while. Of all the guns I now own, I think the 22 rimfires are the only thing that has ever seen a factory cartridge.

Back