Fair price on a M70?

A

Anonymous

Found a New Haven M70...stainless, black synthetic in 7WSM. Looks barely fired.

I'm not much into M70s, but is $500 a decent price?

I picked a PF 7RM blued up off GB with the black plastic stock for just over $400, stainless goes for a little more. I wouldn't go much higher if it were me. Some where down the road your going to want to restock it and that will add $300-$400 more if you get a drop in and higher if you have to have it fitted by a smith.

Thanks guys, I wasn't really sure how to judge the price tag... stainless M70s usually carry a premium...but 7WSM is about as popular as the clap up here (and most everywhere else) despite being a technically good cartridge.

Still thinking on this one. Might see if he'll take a trade on something else I've got that I don't like much instead of cash. If nothing else it might make a good base for a custom build later on.

My stainless Model 70 chambered in 7WSM came out of New Haven. I felt from the first that there was some sort of a factory screw up when this rifle was built--the barrel was smooth enough to qualify for a custom build. The rifle shoots reasonably well and puts game down with real authority. Canadians face a daunting exchange rate right now (about $1.43 CDN/$1 USD); even allowing for that, New Haven built Winchesters still sell in the vicinity of $400 to $500 USD.

If it's a CRF it's a HUGE deal. If it's a push feeder, it's pretty decent as well.

Don't shoot it if you want a donor. That 7mm WSM is straight out awesome.

I would think it has to be a CRF, Scotty. It sure looks like a good deal to me. I can see me picking it up if I encountered such a deal. I'd sure be tempted to build something new on it. Wonder what I could do?

I'm really considering picking this up and making a project out of it....

...a little Cerakote....a McMillian stock...Talley Rings and bases...Nice glass up top. Call it a 7.5-8 lb, all-weather caribou killer.

The more I look at the 7WSM the better I like it. Won't do a thing my 300WSM won't do...but that's never the point.

I know that I love my 7WSM. I consider it one of the best of the crop.

I cleaned up a M70 Ultimate Shadow 7WSM a few years ago. I swapped the alien looking factory stock with the factory stock that came on the all weather version at the time and added bottom metal. Its the only 7mm I have ever owned and it was a neat little project that my dad and I worked on. I had a 300 WSM already so REALLY didn't "need" it. We topped it with glass and got some dies. I built 3 loads for it(small, medium and large if you will). 139gr w/ 4350 @3200, a 154gr w/Magpro @3000, a the big 175gr w/ magpro @ 2900. I didn't love the rifle, ive never been a 7mm guy, but man would it shoot. I left the rifle with my dad while deployed in the navy and when I came back he had sold it, to start another project. He said we already had one cartridge that ate gobs of powder(my 300s like full cases!!) and didn't need another. he was right. After he died in 2012 I tried to buy that rifle and a couple others he let go(a beautiful M700 LSS mountain rifle in 260) back but none would let go of them. I still like the 300 WSM better but the 7 is no slouch.

Can any of you M70 experts ID this model?

Not a current product so that's no help...

Attachments

• 7WSM.jpg
    7WSM.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,111
More enlikely that's a a stainless classic do you have a picture of the other side what does the barrel say on it?

I wish I had a pic of the other side. Here is one of the barrel roll mark.

Attachments

• 7WSM2.jpg
    7WSM2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,103
It is almost assuredly a Model 70 Ultimate Shadow. A couple of years ago, one in VG condition would sell for ~$425. The stainless model brings a slight premium of about $50. In Excellent condition, it would be valued at ~$750. There is a bit of a range there. I'd say you did well.

Haven't picked it up yet... meeting up tomorrow.

I'm really hoping this a CRF rifle and not a CRPF... apparently the 7WSM came in both flavors depending on the model.

If it's a CRPF...any reason to be scared of it? I've heard they can be accurate, just not much collector interest.

Wasn't the ultimate shadow a blued model with the CRF and that funky textured stock. I think from looking at its a classic stainless in the Tupperware factory stock. The other side would do wonders. I believe the ultimate came out after Win sold to FN.

I think that is a classic stainless.

New Haven did produce both the Super Shadow and Ultimate Shadow... Both models had a very ugly stock with the swirly lines and stuff.

The Super Shadow had a blind magazine.

nvbroncrider":22x2ws6e said:
Wasn't the ultimate shadow a blued model with the CRF and that funky textured stock. I think from looking at its a classic stainless in the Tupperware factory stock. The other side would do wonders. I believe the ultimate came out after Win sold to FN.

If I had to make a guess I'd say it's a CRF Classic Stainless and if it looks in good as condition as the pictures portray you should give him the 500 and run away happily!

I know you have an awesome 300 WSM as well but the 7mm WSM made it easy for me to send my 300 WSM down the road. The 7 ran 160's right at 3090 and 175's into the mid 2900's. Both are extremely accurate loads as well. I just love that 7mm WSM. That and the 270 WSM are super rifles and that platform would be excellent with a lighter stock. Talk about a slick handling mountain rifle.

If it's a push feed, there's no reason to run away from it. Still has the three position safety I prefer and every bit as smooth an action as a 700 in my mind. My early '90's M70 featherweight in .280 is a bit of a finicky shooter, if you want consistent sub-moa groups. But I blame that on the thin barrel. It will shoot sub-moa even to 1/2" with the right load. Good luck with it.

I have a New Haven CRPF that I rebored to .358 and chambered to 35 Whelen AI and have had no feed problems with this rifle. I would buy it in a heart beat if I wanted one and maybe bore it out to 35 and chamber it for 35 WSM just because I like the .35.

Back