Fair price on a M70?

Well....picked this one up. A stainless classic with CRF in a black tupperware stock. Negotiated to $450. Last year of production is 2004.

Looks like it's been fired very, very little. Bolt face was essentially unmarked. Had some dried oil in the cracks and crevices and underneath the stock. A few handling marks. I'm thinking it's never been hunted, well- at least outside of a pickup at any rate. Trigger pull feels like 15 pounds...but it's the old style open trigger so adjustment shouldn't be an issue.

Thinking I'll make the worst mistake ever and adjust the trigger, mount a scope and see what it will do. Heck, the barrel probably isn't even broken in yet. The barrel is very smooth and mirror bright.

Should be very useful for you in your neck of the woods. Had no doubt you would be picking it up and yes I bet it shoots well for you :)

One of the bigger challenges might be finding a box of ammo for it. Might have to make a run to Fairbanks over the weekend to see what I can scrounge up.

That is true hope you can find some. Have you given much thought to the bullets you were planning on eventually trying? I know you are a big fan of the 180 gr AccuBond in your 300 WSM.

gerry":zkopm6g3 said:
That is true hope you can find some. Have you given much thought to the bullets you were planning on eventually trying? I know you are a big fan of the 180 gr AccuBond in your 300 WSM.

I'm going to likely start with 140s, probably ABs or BTs and eventually try 150s and 160s... I'm thinking I'll mostly use this for caribou so a 140 at 3200 ought to do the trick just fine. Since I'm looking for factory...it'll be a "beggars can't be choosers" endeavor.

For bigger critters, I've got bigger sticks...although a friend of mine has killed a truckload of moose with a 7mag and 154gr bullets.

I'm guessing I didn't get too hurt on this one. All the tag said was "Model 70", so, I don't know which one I have. Out the door for $350 though (without the scope and base/rings).

Gun is a New Haven build. No idea how old/young it is or even what exact model.

You didn't get hurt at all. You did quite well. Congratulations on a fine rifle.

hodgeman":262doge8 said:
Well....picked this one up. A stainless classic with CRF in a black tupperware stock. Negotiated to $450. Last year of production is 2004.

Looks like it's been fired very, very little. Bolt face was essentially unmarked. Had some dried oil in the cracks and crevices and underneath the stock. A few handling marks. I'm thinking it's never been hunted, well- at least outside of a pickup at any rate. Trigger pull feels like 15 pounds...but it's the old style open trigger so adjustment shouldn't be an issue.

Thinking I'll make the worst mistake ever and adjust the trigger, mount a scope and see what it will do. Heck, the barrel probably isn't even broken in yet. The barrel is very smooth and mirror bright.

You scored big Buddy! I'd do 450 all day long for that rifle!

I'm about to do some 140 work with my 7mm WSM as well. Wanna come up with a good load that shoots to the same point of aim as the Bitterroots.

That Federal Fusion and blue box 150's are fairly common on the shelves here. If you can't find ammo, let me know, you could either shoot it and recoup the brass or pull the bullets and use the brass for your own use.

140's at 3200 in that will be a breeze. And a 140 AB will crush caribou as well. You won't mind the fairly gentle recoil either I bet.

I have bought 2 M70s with that same stock on them and replaced both of them with Laminated stocks. One was a CRPF and the other a PF.

hodgeman":3b8ud9d2 said:
gerry":3b8ud9d2 said:

I'm going to likely start with 140s, probably ABs or BTs and eventually try 150s and 160s... I'm thinking I'll mostly use this for caribou so a 140 at 3200 ought to do the trick just fine. Since I'm looking for factory...it'll be a "beggars can't be choosers" endeavor.

For bigger critters, I've got bigger sticks...although a friend of mine has killed a truckload of moose with a 7mag and 154gr bullets.

Sounds like a good plan, 140's @ 3200 fps will work well especially in open country. In the meantime good luck on finding some brass or factory ammo.

Back