Farm rifle

243 Win is a great rifle for his requirements. There is a lot of factory ammo for it and the recoil is basically nothing. Coyotes, bobcats, racoons, skunks, or what ever he needs to get rid of will fall to a well placed shot.

http://www.jgsales.com/zastava-m85-7.62 ... -6939.html

mini-mauser 7.62X39

I can't believe nobody has suggested this yet. Your dad needs a rifle he can shoot a lot inexpensively to become proficient with it. Doesn't come much cheaper than 7.62X39. This round has plenty of power for deer out to 200 yards and can be amazingly accurate when properly handloaded.

I would suggest a Browning BLR in a 243 caliber. 20 inch barrel, under 7 lbs, comes with a pistol grip which I prefer when using from a portable object, like a tractor. I use a 7mm WSM for wolf and caribou, from a dog sled and snowmobile, so the same gun only in a 243 caliber should work for coyotes and deer from a tractor

yukon huntress":4lplut3e said:
I would suggest a Browning BLR in a 243 caliber. 20 inch barrel, under 7 lbs, comes with a pistol grip which I prefer when using from a portable object, like a tractor. I use a 7mm WSM for wolf and caribou, from a dog sled and snowmobile, so the same gun only in a 243 caliber should work for coyotes and deer from a tractor

You aren't kidding Cheyenne. I almost have to talk myself out of one in a 7-08.

yukon huntress":3sidjwf7 said:

Practical perspective. The 7 WSM will get 'er done for most everything.

yukon huntress":1uepwj5p said:
Great suggestion.
I tend to overlook the levers and that's a pity. This is what I love about this forum. The varied perspectives and common sense that the members bring.
Vince

Back