Favorit Powder for the 221 Fire Ball?

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
I have tired AA1680, Lilgun, and H4198 and did settle on H4198 to get a higher load dencity. I should get my rebarreled 221FB back in a week or two and it will be basicly a new gun as far as what loads it will like with the new barrel. I am sticking with 40gr HP's and the 45gr hornady spire point which I have a lot of. The twist is 1:14 3 groove 24" barrel so it should favor them still (?).

I still have two pounds of H4198 but its time to concider any powder that performs well in the 221 FB like reloader #7.

When I pick up more 40 grainer's the Varmagadin 40gr HP looks real nice. The 45gr spire pt is ecentually a 45gr SX bullet and it works well at the FB's slightly slower velocities on larger vermen.

Since no one has chimed in, I'll give you my limited experience with testing the fireball. Firstly, I've only tried two powders since I could NEVER acquire any A1680! No matter, these two powders made me fall in love with reloading. Lil gun @14.8gr shot .198" groups, was "dirty" requiring cleaning at 12 to 15 shots to maintain accuracy, and blew 10% of the primers at 14.9gr. Speed was 3210fps from a 22" barrel. Love those groups and speed BUT I am not a maintence man, I like to shoot prairie dogs! Next and final powder is Reloader-7. I use 18.6gr, 50gr V-max, .371" groups, 3140 fps from a 22" barrelled stock remington SS fluted. I see no reason to search futher for a 200yd p-gun gun since it is a "head shooter" even if they just peak over the mound. These results were entered into the first page of the log book dated 8-29-08! I'm sure glad I started reloading with this rifle and not the !@#$%^& .264 win that almost had me giving up and committing myself to the insane asylum! Good luck on a very fine caliber. Kevin.

Thanks for your input. I have been lucky with my 223rem with my first work up loads picked a very promising load .5grs from max that does clover leafs. DONE never changing a thing! My 22hornet found some loads that did not work and some that do very well with not much work. Both very accurate. Now if this rebarreled finely tuned gun will shoot as good I will be very happy.

Reloader #7 has my interest thinking I may be able to load at a lesser pressure but keep the velocity up to where other powder are. Some manuals show it as an over acheiver. So push it to the max or just back off some for case life specialy if its for accuracy too.

I don't have access to my notes from then, but around 6 yrs ago or so I played with a little CZ 527 in .221 Fireball. I used both Lil Gun and R7, from 40gr to 50 ( I killed a nice pig with the Barnes 50gr XLC at 75 yds with that thing!) I eventually sold it because I was in love with another CZ 527 Varmint .204. Ah love, ah me.....:)

H4198 that was my go to for my 700 classic

Back