Final hunting load test in the 416’s

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Shot these a a week or so ago, and forgot to post them. Overall still very happy with the accuracy I’m getting out of these two rifles. In my 416 rem I switched from Hornady brass to Norma. Used the exact same load and picked up 58fps over the Hornady brass. Which I figured there would be some velocity difference between the two, I didn’t expect that much. Here is my loads and the targets I used to finalize my zero.

# Winchester model 70 416 Remington
340 grain woodleigh PP, Norma brass, IMR4064, velocity is 2668 FPS.

# Interarms mark X 416 Taylor Improved
300 TSX, Norma brass, IMR4166 velocity is 2640 FPS.
d736dbc6fd3654769f3c8abb3907408b.jpg

9b3632033de890289119fb2bb0a35ef5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That does appear to be some fine accuracy. Congratulations. I do believe either load will work.

So...are you hunting dinosaurs or just elephants? Haha, great shooting, I dont think there is anything out there you wouldn't be able to stop with those.

Excellent job with your load development. You are ready to take on the globe.

JD338

Can't really say anything better than what JD already did. Good gosh that's some hammers. Good shooting also, but better you than me I think. :shock: :mrgreen:

Thanks guys! I was really wanting to take them both on one of those Russian boar hunts in Tennessee. Until I watched you tube videos of both places I was looking at. Both places people just walked up to them and shot them from like 20 yards away, so that isn’t for me. Maybe one day I could get after a Buffalo in Africa hopefully. So I guess it’s just looking like whitetail deer still [emoji23]. Maybe I can luck up on a feral hog like I did a few years ago with my 9.3x62 though. I’ve been in love with the thought of Africa and reading the old safari books since I was a kid, so I’m at least getting to play with some of the cartridges anyway.

Cleveland48":3aa80t3c said:
Thanks guys! I was really wanting to take them both on one of those Russian boar hunts in Tennessee. Until I watched you tube videos of both places I was looking at. Both places people just walked up to them and shot them from like 20 yards away, so that isn’t for me. Maybe one day I could get after a Buffalo in Africa hopefully. So I guess it’s just looking like whitetail deer still [emoji23]. Maybe I can luck up on a feral hog like I did a few years ago with my 9.3x62 though. I’ve been in love with the thought of Africa and reading the old safari books since I was a kid, so I’m at least getting to play with some of the cartridges anyway.

Those are nice groups. Nothing wrong with having hopes and dreams. Maybe it will workout for you to go to Africa. Till then nothing wrong with thumping whitetails. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":198v03pc said:
Cleveland48":198v03pc said:

Those are nice groups. Nothing wrong with having hopes and dreams. Maybe it will workout for you to go to Africa. Till then nothing wrong with thumping whitetails. Dan.
Thanks! Luckily in Mississippi we have very generous bag limits on deer. So I usually get to try several rifle, and load combinations every year. We are allowed (3) bucks, and (5) does per season.

Enjoy your rifle. The loads look great.

I think I may have waited too long to go to Africa. Go when you can.

That would also be one heck of a rifle for the great Kodiak Bear or the coastal Alaskan brown bear...

Guy

Guy Miner":31vxnkpp said:
Enjoy your rifle. The loads look great.

I think I may have waited too long to go to Africa. Go when you can.

That would also be one heck of a rifle for the great Kodiak Bear or the coastal Alaskan brown bear...

Guy
Thanks Guy, that would be nice also. I vividly remember you sharing your brown bear trip on the forum. And I have thought about a trip up north a lot since then.

Great work!
Those loads are ready for Africa, and North America!
Bear (white, brown or black), elk, moose, and bison here on our side of the pond!

I enjoy shooting my 416 Taylor, and haven't done enough of it lately. Still need to carry it on a bison hunt.
The big bores are amazingly accurate and it definitely does something good for one's self esteem when shooting cloverleaf groups!

Blkram":2jnb0mx0 said:
Great work!
Those loads are ready for Africa, and North America!
Bear (white, brown or black), elk, moose, and bison here on our side of the pond!

I enjoy shooting my 416 Taylor, and haven't done enough of it lately. Still need to carry it on a bison hunt.
The big bores are amazingly accurate and it definitely does something good for one's self esteem when shooting cloverleaf groups!
Yes it does give you that little boost in confidence

Great shooting buddy! Both of those look real good!

I have a good load with the 250 grain Monoflex in my 458 Winchester that runs 2900 and should be fun to hunt deer with in some of my spots. Those big suckers should leave a mark!

That looks to be a great load with the kind of accuracy that shows great patience and marksmanship (y).
I hope that you get to take that adventure one day in the near future!

Blessings,
Dan

SJB358":1ux0efi6 said:
Great shooting buddy! Both of those look real good!

I have a good load with the 250 grain Monoflex in my 458 Winchester that runs 2900 and should be fun to hunt deer with in some of my spots. Those big suckers should leave a mark!
Thanks buddy, that sounds like it’s gonna be a awesome whitetail load

sask boy":r37632xu said:
That looks to be a great load with the kind of accuracy that shows great patience and marksmanship (y).
I hope that you get to take that adventure one day in the near future!

Blessings,
Dan
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Back