Finalized two loads for Next hunting season

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I have finalized two loads for next years hunting season for my 300Win mag and my 358Win. I am using a 180gr TTSX for my 300Win and the 225gr AccuBond for my 358Win. Results of my tests were as follows.

For the 300Win mag I used the following powders with Win Brass and CCI250 primers and with all powders listed the largest group with my 116FHSS Savage was 1.285" and the smallest group was .454"

RL-25 = 3051fps (fifth most accurate group .887")

RL-22 = 3099fps (fourth most accurate group .856")

RL-H1000 = 2968fps (worst group 1.285")

MRP-2 = 3025fps (third most accurate group .768")

MRP = 3129fps (second most accurate group .6789")

IMR4350 = 3052fps (sixth most accurate group .977")

H4350 = 3002fps (seventh most accurate group .989")

W-760 = 3074fps (most accurate group .454")

Most accurate group and load with 180gr TTSX 300Win Mag, W-760, 3074fps, .454"
IMG_0381.jpg

For the 358Win, I used one load of TAC but two different primers Fed 215 and CCI250, with CCI250 primers giving more velocity and best accuracy.

Tac = 2552fps with Fed 215 primers

Tac = 2587fps with CCI250 primers and best group of .528"

Most accurate group and load with 225gr AccuBond 358Win, TAC, 2587fps .528"
IMG_0378-1.jpg

No pressure signs at all and very easy ejection.
IMG_0377.jpg

Thanks, now next year I just need to hunt more and see more :)

Way to go Mike. Two dandy loads for sure.

JD338

I thought you had sworn off Barnes! :shock: Nevertheless, a couple of fine loads. You've got those ABs smoking on your 358.

DrMike":3abxm0kl said:
I thought you had sworn off Barnes! :shock: Nevertheless, a couple of fine loads. You've got those ABs smoking on your 358.

I had for sure sworn off the TSX. What changed my mine to use the TTSX is the results that very close friends of mine have had with the TTSX. It was for them a more efficient and quicker killer than the TSX. In a way I am glad it is a better bullet because when it comes to very dangerous game, I do not have to change my load and use a different bullet. Now I will assure you that if this 180gr bullet acts like the TSX did for me, I won't be back at the store buying any.

Yes, in my 358Win, I can't put anymore TAC in my case and still I do not have any pressure signs. It could actually take more if I could get more in the case. These velocities with the 225gr AccuBond give me a true 300yd gun with the 358Win.

Hey Bullet, how far off the lands for the TTSX are you for bullet seating for the 300 win mag. I am hoping friends rifle wil shoot these.
For my 338 Win mag I found .095 +- .003 is the incredible magic number for the ttsx 225 gr.

.050, .060 .070 .080 amd .105, .115, and .125 were all between 2.5" and 1.125"
...but .095 wham... Three 4 shot groups, the bullets were on top of each other for around .625". Hornady Interlock 225 gr also shot excellent at 1 1/8" at 200 yards with same bullet seating. I have spent so much money, different powder, primers, seating depth for the 225 ABs and still nothinig consistently reasonable that I have given up on these for my rifle.

Stevesdl":jryof5s8 said:
Hey Bullet, how far off the lands for the TTSX are you for bullet seating for the 300 win mag. I am hoping friends rifle wil shoot these.
For my 338 Win mag I found .095 +- .003 is the incredible magic number for the ttsx 225 gr.

.050, .060 .070 .080 amd .105, .115, and .125 were all between 2.5" and 1.125"
...but .095 wham... Three 4 shot groups, the bullets were on top of each other for around .625". Hornady Interlock 225 gr also shot excellent at 1 1/8" at 200 yards with same bullet seating. I have spent so much money, different powder, primers, seating depth for the 225 ABs and still nothinig consistently reasonable that I have given up on these for my rifle.

Set the OAL at 3.340" and go to town. The TTSX and TSX need more jump that was first believed.

Congrats! I'm working on getting mine narrowed down as well. I got my wifes gun ready for everything. Got my 280 AI ready for deer and speed goats. Mow I'm working my 338 WM over with some 225 ABs. Just about got it dialed.

Gotta love it when a guy finds a good load that he can write down on his "keeper" list.

Good loads for sure... though I'm a little leery of 760 due to some poor experiences with it in the past. I developed some loads using 760 in the .22-250, 6mm Rem, and .25-06... all showed excellent accuracy and some pretty good pace. Shot them all summer... then missed a couple coyotes when the weather got cold. Turned out... all the loads were 250fps slower when the temps were in the low teens (and shot about 1" lower at 100)... than they were when the mercury ran into the 80's. Went to RE22 and MRP... never had a problem again. Now I run a lot of Ramshot Magnum and RE-17...

I'd take a real serious look at the MRP load... you'd never notice the difference in accuracy or velocity in the field... and MRP has been a lot less temp sensitive IMO...

That is one cranking load in your 358 Mike! Man, I am ecstatic about a 225 at 2450, but almost 2600 is very close to the Whelen. Plus, your accuracy is unreal. That really makes me wanna give TAC a try in the future.

BTW, your 300WM looks excellent. It would be hard to go back to Barnes though. I know you are giving it a go though. I wish you lots of luck. Scotty

Songdog":2s4m2hcs said:
Good loads for sure... though I'm a little leery of 760 due to some poor experiences with it in the past. I developed some loads using 760 in the .22-250, 6mm Rem, and .25-06... all showed excellent accuracy and some pretty good pace. Shot them all summer... then missed a couple coyotes when the weather got cold. Turned out... all the loads were 250fps slower when the temps were in the low teens (and shot about 1" lower at 100)... than they were when the mercury ran into the 80's. Went to RE22 and MRP... never had a problem again. Now I run a lot of Ramshot Magnum and RE-17...

I'd take a real serious look at the MRP load... you'd never notice the difference in accuracy or velocity in the field... and MRP has been a lot less temp sensitive IMO...

We are suppose to have another cold shot come or way and I will test it again. Most of my hunting is done in the mid 20's to 70 degrees so I don't expect to have to much of a problem with the 760. MRP I have used for years and it will get another run since it was also pretty accurate.

bullet":121q05dk said:
We are suppose to have another cold shot come or way and I will test it again. Most of my hunting is done in the mid 20's to 70 degrees so I don't expect to have to much of a problem with the 760. MRP I have used for years and it will get another run since it was also pretty accurate.

I look forward to hearing the results... I haven't shot it since Hodgdon took over the Winchester line... hopefully they've made it a little more consistent.

Mark, you're not gonna be disappointed with TTSX or even the TSX for that matter. I found these bullet to be very accurate and deadly. If you shoot magnums at blistering speed, then this is the bullet that can do it all.

bullet":zl3ppowh said:
DrMike":zl3ppowh said:

I had for sure sworn off the TSX. What changed my mine to use the TTSX is the results that very close friends of mine have had with the TTSX. It was for them a more efficient and quicker killer than the TSX. In a way I am glad it is a better bullet because when it comes to very dangerous game, I do not have to change my load and use a different bullet. Now I will assure you that if this 180gr bullet acts like the TSX did for me, I won't be back at the store buying any.

Yes, in my 358Win, I can't put anymore TAC in my case and still I do not have any pressure signs. It could actually take more if I could get more in the case. These velocities with the 225gr AccuBond give me a true 300yd gun with the 358Win.

I see a BLR in .358win in my future. What kind of gun is your 358? And what powder is TAC? thanks, T

Desert Fox":375ya0er said:
Mark, you're not gonna be disappointed with TTSX or even the TSX for that matter. I found these bullet to be very accurate and deadly. If you shoot magnums at blistering speed, then this is the bullet that can do it all.

I am more confident in the TTSX after some I know have used it. This coming year will tell the story for me, but with so many good reports about the TTSX I am sure it will be interesting.

Back