Finally bloodied the 6-06

wbyfan1

Beginner
Apr 9, 2012
Haven't had much time for hunting since building the gun and the subsequent load development, but finally drew blood yesterday.

Made a trip to our deer lease with the intention of thinning out the coyote population, but instead ran into a small group of hogs. Since we rarely see those prolific bastards during daylight hours, figured I better take advantage of the opportunity.

I spotted this sow rooting under an oak tree in a distant field. Sat down with my shooting sticks and let a 105 Hybrid fly. Distance was 285. Bullet entered the front left shoulder, a skosh low,(mis-judged the range :), but the result was still a dead hog! Complete pass through.

So far loving this 6-06. It's been easy to tune and is amazingly accurate with the 105 Hybrids and VLD's...almost feel like I'm cheating the laws of physics launching em at 3300. Can't wait till Deer season. The ol'257 Roy will be taking a back seat for the time being! :)

Good job on the sow. Looks as if she got the message. The 6-06 is an interesting cartridge.

Neat cartridge and one I considered building. Would you be so kind as to take a few photo's of some loaded cartridges for us and post those up as well???

6mm,

Here you go....

For comparison...243 95 SST and 6-06 with a 105 Berger Hybrid. The COAL on the 06 is 3.37 in or 40 thousand of the lands.

Good job on the porker.
Looks like just about the right size to throw in the smoker whole !

Cool cartridge too.

Back