Fire formed some brass.

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
Fire formed my first brass today. I have never done it. Made some 280 AI brass out of Rem. 280 brass with some 140 BT and 4895. Pretty simple really. Hope the rem brass I can keep for more than three firings. If I don't load them to hot it shouldn't be a problem.

They shoot pretty good even when fire forming. Had a nice 3/4" five shot group at 100 yrds.

Jake,

Good deal! The R-P brass should give you a little more case volume over the Nosler brass.
I have had great case life with the R-P brass shooting 60.0 grs RL 22 and the 160 gr AB.

JD338

For my 30-06 AI I used 110 gr Hornadies with Unique powder. I fireformed 100 Nickle Rem brass and it lasted forever until I sold the gun years later.

Pop, any issues with the nickel flaking on the AI shoulder?

I was wondering about fire forming nickle plated brass. Hows that work out pop?

I used some nickel plated brass for some 25 Gibbs rounds a few years ago. I never noticed it flaking off. I didn't have it very long though.

Jake,

You shouldn't have any issues fire forming nickel plated cases provided you use good ff loads.

You should have a slight crush fit when you chamber the 280 Rem case in the 280 AI chamber.
If you do, there is no need to seat bullets into the lands. A MAX 280 Remington load is a starting load for the 280 AI and this is what you need to fire form and ensure that there is enough pressure to completely fire form the case in the 280 AI chamber.

JD338

Thanks Jim. I have 20 round formed with 140 BT and some old 4895 that I had. They look great. I'll keep you posted when I get some more loads worked up with this brass and the 160 AB. Going to start out with 59gr of RL-22 and work up.

Back