First attempt at annealing - pics included

Dr. Vette

Handloader
Apr 16, 2012
After having some problems with neck tension consistency using the FC brass that came with my rifle I thought I'd better finally try my hand at annealing. I would love a Bench Source unit but don't shoot enough to justify the $500 outlay right now. I tossed out the idea Sunday afternoon at the gun club that some of us should group together and buy a unit, but no one else bit, so...

I bought some 450 degree Tempilaq because that is what was readily available through the local welding supply company. Nobody had 650 or even knew if they could order it. All of the brass has been prepped by depriming, cleaning, etc and was rejected a week ago because I couldn't get consistent necks; most bounced right back when trying to size them with a collet neck die. So, they were all prime candidates. All received a small line of Tempilaq about 1/8" below the shoulder, with 5 of the 10 then receiving a line running all the way down the case. I am using MAPP gas, and quenching in water as soon as I see a bit of red in my darkened garage. Only 1 small wattage lightbulb is on. My cordless drill and a 12mm deep socket held the brass and spun it. I first tested 20 cull brass of the same brand to get the technique down.

Below are the photos of the brass. The single 450 degree line burned up about 1 second before the first hint of redness appeared, and did so consistently. Each piece was in the flame for about 6 seconds. You can also see that the ones with the long stripe burned about the same degree consistently too. Of note, the first 3 photos have the Tempilaq stripes facing up, on the 4th photo they are on the bottom away from the camera.

So how do they look? Color good or not good? Any additional recommendations before I do more?
I'm tempted to next run these through my Lee collet die and see how the neck sizing works to see if I gained anything with this experiment. However I thought I'd post them here first for your thoughts.

Patrick

Attachments

• 10 no stripes sml.JPG
    10 no stripes sml.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 611
  • 5 long stripes.jpg
    5 long stripes.jpg
    900.9 KB · Views: 611
  • 5 short stripes.jpg
    5 short stripes.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 611
  • stripes all 10.jpg
    stripes all 10.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 612
They look fine from up here. You should be pleased when you size them this time, I would anticipate.

DrMike":uezoc1qn said:
They look fine from up here. You should be pleased when you size them this time, I would anticipate.

I am a strong second with what mike has written. They look pretty good to me.

because I couldn't get consistent necks; most bounced right back when trying to size them with a collet neck die.

Your annealing looks fine. I don't use the temp stuff anymore as it is a pain to remove from the cases.

I think your neck tension problem has more to do with your Collet die than it does with your brass. The Lee collet die is set up for about .001 neck tension. Many (me) find this to be insufficient for good bullet hold.

Lee has a simple fix called the "reduced" mandrel, they sell them for $5.
You can also chuck the mandrel in a drill and polish it down to your desired size giving increased neck tension.

They look fine to me, I also don't use the gunky (technical term) stuff. But I do have a question however, how does one determine that they are
having some problems with neck tension consistency using the FC brass that came with my rifle
.. How does a lay person tell ???

Desert Fox":3h5t1bht said:
Looks like just about right. After doing a hundred of those you won't need tempilaq.

I am with DF. They look fine and I am sure you will feel the difference once they hit the sizer die. I anneal alot nowadays, since it is so quick for me and I don't shoot volumes. I love the consistency it has given me and extended brass life without split neck.

Attached are some photos of my second attempt. I used a metronome to time each case (great suggestion!) and it worked very well.

Of note, I ran them through the collet die today, and each seemed to resize just fine and stay resized. Previously I would run them through the die and some wouldn't neck down enough. I checked old brass, my annealed brass as well as some purposely over-annealed brass using the pliers test, and my annealed ones appear to be performing just fine.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Attachments

• annealed 2.jpg
    annealed 2.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 484
  • annealed 1.jpg
    annealed 1.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 484
They look super. You are on the money!!!!

One of the ways I can determine how long to keep them in the tip of the blue flame is actually watch the dis-colouration travel down the neck and onto the case just as it is about to pass the shoulder. Its a trick and happen extremely fast but once you recognize it and react immediately you are home free all the time. it is actually about a 4.5 to 6 second count.

Nice job!!!

338winmag

Those look great. Just finished annealing last night. Had a bunch of 338 that needed the treatment. Since I have started annealing, I have had much better luck at the range, especially as the brass gets a few firings over it.

Back