first rifle for son - mule deer/antelope/elk

I like your plan! And the .257 Bob is a neat round, great for a starter rifle. For elk, I like bigger cartridges, but, I've seen several killed with the .243, 6mm and .25-06. Place the bullet in the boiler room and you're good to go. I really like the 7mm-08 for a starter rifle personally, a lot more bullet options and a little better for elk in my opinion. You could always rebarrel the rifle as they age to appropriate chamberings. That .473" head diameter leaves you with countless options! And the sentimental value of that rifle will always be there, that in itself makes this rifle that much cooler!

At 10 depending on how big your son gets to be, I think I'd lean toward a fast .22 if that's legal where you are. Otherwise all the suggestions so far will work well. Its a rare one, but I have to mention the 250 Savage. An 85 Gr CT will do every thing a fast .22 will do IMHO, In time you can step up to 100 gr BT's or a 110. If you want to "Ackley" it eventually then you have some more options... :) That said, How far down can you load a 25-06? Then the options are many and ammo is easy to find, comparatively. My .o2 CL

OOPS- there I go getting long winded...If you already have a 7mm-08 you cant beat that. find some 120 BT's and load them up. Reputation as a tough bullet, a little less recoil. Boddington took his (grown up) daughter to Africa with a 7mm-08. Pretty good endorsement. CL

In the 7/08, I was thinking about loading a 120 ballistic tip or sierra soft point at about 25-2600 fps...should be very little recoil in a load like that and handle deer/antelope fine out to 200 yards which is the farthest I can imagine him shooting.

A 120 at 2500 in a 7 lb rifle is going to have about 9 ft/lb of recoil energy... no one would know the difference between it and a .243 with a 100gr bullet. in terms of recoil.

Remington makes some 7-08 Managed Recoil with a 140@ 2300 for about the same level of thump in a factory box. I tried some in a .308- same POI as a regular full throttle load. Pretty much did as advertised.

Either should be good medicine on a 200 yard deer.

I own several Vanguards, and my older daughter has one in .243 Win. I purchased a full size model then swapped a youth stock onto it. It shoots well and she loves it.

I think you'll do well with yours in 7mm-08.

Back