first shot low

I'd pull the Retumbo load out.
From what you've said about the way it shoots, if it throws one low, then you know it's not the new load.

Dwh7271":1zhikyvr said:
I'd pull the Retumbo load out.
From what you've said about the way it shoots, if it throws one low, then you know it's not the new load.

That is what my gut is telling me to do for the exact reason you said. My retumbo load has never done what I am currently seeing. Retumbo it will be for the first cold bore shot. I'll report what I see.

Well I got back this morning for a quick range trip. I brought 1 round with me and it was new brass, 215m primer, 94 gr retumbo, 200 AccuBond col 3.050, bi-pod as my rest to test my rifle with a cold fouled barrel. First and only round fired went directly where the cross hairs were setting. Next up will be to try magnum again since it does not seem to be a rifle issue.

Well it seems I had not kept very good track of fired rounds since the last cleaning, 63 rounds fired to be exact. I usually keep a good and accurate round count between cleanings but not this time. I decided to clean the barrel knowing my first few shots will be off the POI. Well the first clean barrel cold bore shot with magnum was only slightly low for height at 200 yards and off to the right. Next to shots moved up and to the left, group size was still under MOA.

Seems the underlying cause of the first shot being so low was just an overly dirty barrel. Retumbo did not show this but for what ever reason magnum did.

SJB358":1gfz4r8y said:
That's pretty interesting Bill. Never would've guessed that.

Wasn't what I expected either Scotty but I was very happy to see the first shot up where it should be. I don't know of any other explanation since prior to cleaning the barrel it shot way low 2 different times on a cold dirty barrel.

OU812":2oxop80i said:
SJB358":2oxop80i said:

Wasn't what I expected either Scotty but I was very happy to see the first shot up where it should be. I don't know of any other explanation since prior to cleaning the barrel it shot way low 2 different times on a cold dirty barrel.

As long as it repeats it seems like a done deal.

SJB358":15ycy95z said:
OU812":15ycy95z said:
SJB358":15ycy95z said:

As long as it repeats it seems like a done deal.

Oh it will be checked again you can bet on that. I can't believe my round count was so high. I use a felt pen and put a line on the case head for every firing as it's an easy way to keep track of firings on the brass. I had some 3 times fired brass and set them aside is how my count got off so far.

Back