First yote with the 270

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
My dad, and his friend, and I all decided to go yote hunting this morning. We were calling in a known place where there were sure to be yotes. We called for a couple hours and did not hear or see anything. My dads friend finally spotted a dog about a mile away near a fence line. He was trotting towards us. We planed a sneak attack since he was not coming into the call. All he did was stop and look right at us. It was a staredown for about 20 minutes, then the yote just layed down. Bonus! We executed the perfect spot and stalk, which was my idea to where we were going. We got right on top of that dog. THe shot was 225 yards, but he was now up and trottign away. From my position and my dads, we were unable to see him. My dads friend shot first and though he had hit it, but the dog took off running doing mach 10. Funny thing is, he did not know where the shot came from and ran to the left of us and stopped behind a hill. By that time, all 3 of us were up and kneeling. I could see the yote coming right for us. He made his last mistake by loping over to the hill that was 100 yards in front of us. I was using my 270 with my 150g gamekings at 2920fps. When the dog finaly stoped, stuned at our presence, I quickly raised my rifle, settled the croshairs of my leupold right on teh front of his chest and touched off the 2# trigger. Hair flew. "shit" was the response of my dad and his friend. Ha ha, they just weren't quick enough. Apon arrival, jesus lord that 150g tore that poor yote up. The bullet entered the brisket, since it was facing right at us, and exited out his back leaving at least a 6" exit hole. It was the only yote we saw that day, but at least we got him!!! Thats my dads friend in the pic with me.

sotrlt.jpg

sou6fc.jpg

Good job buddy.
Kinda makes you think twice about using them Sierras on a big mulie or elk...at least up close huh?

POP yes it does. Those 150g sierras I thought would hold up a lot better then that, but the rane was 100 yards. Out of about 15 biggame animals I have shot only 1 has been 100 yards or closer, the rest have been 200 or farther. But that confirms everythign I know about sierras, they blow up, period, or better yet, the more of an expansion type bullet vs a penetration type bullet. Still should work fine on deer or elk, I'll just have to be careful at 100 yards or less, try not to hit any major bone. I was surprised to see such a big exit though for a 150g bullet starting out at 2900fps, but the construction of the bullet explains it all.

Rem Man,

Good job smokin that yote. Pop is right on the Sierra's.
That is why I have always been a Nosler fan. :wink:

JD338

rem 2506 good on you!!!! boat tails are known for looseing their jackets, unless there bonded, jack o'connor used the same bullet to kill a 6x6 bull elk at 550 too 600 yards once that i know of, i think ballistic tips would do the same at same range,just food 4 thought, keep up the great job, regards jjmp

JD I wished my rifle would shoot noslers better then sierras, but it just doesn't. I have talked to kirby about my rifle and groups, and he thinks my barrel is just a smidgen oversized thats why the sierras are shooting better. The way he explained it to me was that under pressure, the softness of the sierra jackets actaully expand to the diameter of the barrel, whereas the noslers with there harder jacket might have the slightest bit of wobble. I dont know, makes sense, the sierras shoot 2x as good as the btips, and I've tried over 30 loads in this rifle.

jjmp- I wont hesitate to shoot deer or elk at 500-600 yards with that bullet. I know it would easily get the job done. Velocity has slowed down enough that it would give reliable penetration. Up close though, sierras are pretty explosive, just like btips, but all in all, they still work, little blood shot meat is better then no meat. For longer ranges I think they are excellent, just like btips. There bad qualities at close range, actually make up for it in long range. For long range you need a bullet to expand and penetrate reliably. If your shooting a tough bullet, more likely it will have a harder time opening up at 500+ yards. I would shoot the 150g Partition if this was my dedicated elk rifle, but its more my long range deer rifle. Thats why I like using btips or gamekings for longer range deer, and AB"s for elk, or the 180g BTip has killed several elk for us at 300+ yards out of 300 WM and RUMS. A guy in our camp last year shot his 5x5 bull at 740 yards with his 300 WM and 180g BT. Velocity works against expansion with any bullet, btips actually expand great at long range and still penetrate great at long range where velocity is between 1600-2400fps.

Rem Man,

No reason to have any doubts with what Kirby says. Shot the snot out of that barrel and have Kirby fix you up with a 270 Allan Mag. :wink:

JD338

rem 2506, well said and explained,kirby really knows this trade i think he''s hands down one of the best smiths there is, PEROID!!! regards jjmp. :grin:

My last yodel dog was taken with a 165 Grand Slam. It was a perfectly executed Texas Heart Shot. Turned him inside out, literally.

The sierra 150 shoots good out of my 270, but it is a real bloodshotter. It works on varmints though.

JD338":2dg2gtgs said:
Rem Man,

No reason to have any doubts with what Kirby says. Shot the snot out of that barrel and have Kirby fix you up with a 270 Allan Mag. :wink:

JD338
At the risk of hijacking what is an 270AM

Its a 300 RUM case necked down and blown out to .277". SHoots 169.5g wildcat ULD bullet at around 3300fps out of a 30" barrel. THat bullet has a BC of about .7. As you can see, some serious horsepower and long range capabilities out of a 270. Puts a 270 weatherby to shame.

Pop,

What Rem Man said. It is called the 270 Allan Mag, designed by Kirby Allan at LRH. Shoots flatter than road kill.

JD338

JD338":n5d4irkd said:
Pop,

What Rem Man said. It is called the 270 Allan Mag, designed by Kirby Allan at LRH. Shoots flatter than road kill.

JD338

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back