FIXED OR VARIABLE - ADVANTAGE GOES TO?

bullet":3qkapwmu said:
FIXED OR VARIABLE - ADVANTAGE GOES TO?
by Mike Price
Easy-access URL (Copy & paste into emails, forums, etc. - no login required):
http://ammoguide.com/?article=pricescorner/130901
I haven't owned a lot of scopes but like the article that Mike wrote I've only had one fix powered scope fail me and it was on a High Powered Spring Air Rifle. In turn I have five variables two of the five have failed on hunting rifles, a Weaver when it was brand new and a Bushnell that had been on several rifles and succumed to a 300 Wby which has been replaced with a Zeiss Conquest and hasn't been tested yet. The other is a 1980s Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x32 that is on my Ruger 77 in 30-06 and has been shot extensivly for crop damage work.
My fixed power scopes are the lowely Bushnell and have taken a beating over the years on various rifles and 12ga shot guns. As long as they don't brake or Bushnell won't stand behind them I won't be replacing them soon.
The Leupold replaced the Weaver the same year it was bought and has proven it's self dependable over the years.
The Zeiss was bought while waiting for Leupold to replace the recticle in a new VXII 3-9 that came with the wrong recticle when it was ordered. Camera Land had the Conquest on sale it's a 4.5-14x42 and I couldn't turn down the deal for under $500. The VXII is still in the box waiting it's turn, it might go on the Savage 99 unless I sell it before the season ( either one ).
My idea of a higher power variable is for spoting game or target shooting so I don't have to carry a spoting scope. My rifles are never loaded when I use them to glass a hill side or open meadow and are usually set on the lowest power setting when standing or stalking.
PS; Good read Mike I perfer fixed power scopes for accuracy and dependability.
Good

Great read Mike, I have never tried a fixed power as I have always hunted in heavy timber to wide open prairie. The one thing I can say is I have always attempted to buy good quality glass.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":28ebi0pz said:
Great read Mike, I have never tried a fixed power as I have always hunted in heavy timber to wide open prairie. The one thing I can say is I have always attempted to buy good quality glass.

Blessings,
Dan

Yes, Scotty, dubyam and others have made the statement on the forum many times, "you get what you pay for," and if you can get a good variable and can pay the money for one , indeed do so. Yes, good glass.

I used fixed power glass back when that was all that you could buy and the few variable scopes on the market were not robust and dependable enough to trust. I presently own (3) Leupold scopes, all variables, along with (7) other scopes all variables and all European manufacture. Presently, my variables range from a 1.5-5x20 Leupold VX-3 to a 5-15x42 Zeiss Diavari V. In the past 20 years since I started converting my fixed power scopes to variables, the only variable scopes that have failed me were (3) Leupold variable scopes. None of my Zeiss, Kahles or Swarovski scopes have failed me during this period.

That could leave one to believe that the reason you have had issues with variables is because you use Leupold (LOL) :p but I am not really interested in going there. I used fixed power scopes for 30 years before I converted everything to variables 20 years ago. My record with variables is perfect, if you ignore the Leupold failures which were all "failure to hold zero" and all were either Vari-XII or XIII scopes.

I normally keep my scopes set at nearly minimum power and have had no issues with being set at highest power when I should be at a lower setting. Anyhow Mike, I guess that we agree to disagree about variable scopes. However only (3) of my scopes are Leupolds and all are variable. You can draw any conclusion that you wish from that information? :mrgreen:

I choose not to draw any conclusions from your post. Glad you like where you are and I have had no issues with my Leupold fixed or variables. Thank you for posting.

When I worked as a mountain goat guide I noticed the outfitter used a 4x33 Leupold on his back up rifle. He guided a lot of goat hunters over the years and a lot for grizzlies in wet tough country, he had seen many variable scopes fail over the years but he and his guides raved about the 4x33 Leupolds, they seemed always to work. After having a few variable scopes fail in recent years I have started to use more fixed power scopes, maybe one day I'll start using the high quality variables, I'm sure they are good. I really like my 6x36 scope and hope to try a 6x42 as soon as I can, great article Mike.

gerry":8mhut3i2 said:
When I worked as a mountain goat guide I noticed the outfitter used a 4x33 Leupold on his back up rifle. He guided a lot of goat hunters over the years and a lot for grizzlies in wet tough country, he had seen many variable scopes fail over the years but he and his guides raved about the 4x33 Leupolds, they seemed always to work. After having a few variable scopes fail in recent years I have started to use more fixed power scopes, maybe one day I'll start using the high quality variables, I'm sure they are good. I really like my 6x36 scope and hope to try a 6x42 as soon as I can, great article Mike.

Yes, the FX-2 6x36mm is on my Nosler M48 TGR and is a great scope. You will like the FX-3 6x42mm especially at twilight it is an awesome scope. Had the older 6x42 and loved it at twilight but this new FX-3 tested even better at twilight.

I have 2 M8 4X Leupolds. One is on a 243 Winchester and the other is on a 444 Marlin. Both are excellent scopes and one rode on top of my 12 gauge slug gun for close to 15 years. Never missed a beat. I'd buy another Leupold or higher quality Fixed. Saying that, my favorite is the 2.5x10 Swaro.. Wished I had 10 of them, as that scope, has kinda "shown me the light"... :lol:

SJB358":1ptaadt1 said:
I have 2 M8 4X Leupolds. One is on a 243 Winchester and the other is on a 444 Marlin. Both are excellent scopes and one rode on top of my 12 gauge slug gun for close to 15 years. Never missed a beat. I'd buy another Leupold or higher quality Fixed. Saying that, my favorite is the 2.5x10 Swaro.. Wished I had 10 of them, as that scope, has kinda "shown me the light"... :lol:

Well, when you pay the money for the light in a variable you get the light :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Great points with the posts being made. Let me make it clear that the article is really about clarity, light transmission, low light and roughness along with simplicity for the dollar spent. Unless you really spend the bucks, you will not have what a well made fixed has in the above mention class of glass and construction. Also, I have many, as some of you know extremely small groups developing loads for many different calibers and most were shot at the range with 4, 5 and 6 power, much less the game taken at over average hunting ranges.

The article is not which is best, variable or fixed, but which gives you the most for the money and simplifies things in the field. I have a few variable scopes I really like, but I paid for them and they cost much more than the rifle they sat on. If you like it simple, want it to be outstanding in the qualities I mentioned above, then a good fixed is unbeatable, unless you are willing to spend real big money and if you do, then you only have in quality what I have in a good fixed scope. I like simple, outstanding lens and roughedness of construction for less, so that is why I choose a fixed most of the time (note: I said most of the time).

Of course, whatever you are comfortable with in the field and like the most is the best, because of the confidence factor, which makes you a better shot in the field. I hope all you guys no matter what scope or kind of scope you use have a great hunting season this year. Mike

Crazy as it may seem, I'm considering a fixed 6x for that custom .375 H&H Model 70 I picked up recently.

Thanks to Scotty, it's got some great Talley quick-detach rings, the express sights are terrific and I shoot them reasonably well at modest distance. At anything over modest distance, I really like hunting with a good 6x...

That 36mm obj version would look great on the rifle. It's strong & light, which is good considering the recoil of heavy loads.

Maybe not a traditional choice for a medium-bore hunting rifle, but perhaps a real good one... I might just have to give that a try!

Guy

That choice of a fixed power 6x scope would provide some benefits. It would fit the built in bases on the rifle without having to use a high ring set to mount it. The 6x scope is good for any hunting scenario from 50 yards to 300 yards easily. It is not great for DG up close and personal. I guess it depends on your planned use of the rifle. The 6x scope would give you a capable plains game rifle for Kudu and whatever else you want to use it for. Your rifle, your choice? Personally, I would be more inclined to put 1.5-6X32 or a 2.5-8x36 scope on it and keep it as a medium BG game rifle.

Back