Fluted Vs. Smaller barrel.

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
Looking at Starting my mountain rifle project real soon and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on barrel fluting. I'm going with a lilja stainless 24" barrel. The smallest conture that they flute is a #5. The weight of the fluted #5 is roughly the same as a non-fluted #3. . . about 3.3 lbs.

Anything wrong with fluting or a skinny barrel?

A skinny barrel will heat up quick. A heavier barrel with fluting will cool quicker and be a little more rigid. For a mountain gun, I'd probably opt for a #3 contour and wait longer between shots since minimizing weight is the main issue in the field.

+1 with what Yote said.... However... if the weight is the same, personally I'd opt for the fluted.....the coolness factor has to play in there somewhere doesn't it? :grin:

Powerstroke- That is pretty much what I was thinking 8) , they are going to weigh the same with in .03lbs or so, accordin to Liljas weight calculaing spread sheet.

If weight is the same, I'd go with the fluted, for three reasons:

1. Rigidity
2. Heat dissipation
3. Coolness factor!

The first two help with accuracy, the third is just gravy, man. If the thinner contour was lighter, I'd do it, but a fluted barrel at the same weight is the real trick!

I had my NULA M24 built with a No. 2 contour stainless barrel; the finished rifle is 5.5#. If you are looking to trudge mountains, I would go with the thin barrel. My Douglas barrel does not show any weirdness when shooting, and the rifle definitely packs light.

jim

If you are going to build a mountain rifle that is light then go with a #2 or #3 but only go with a 22" barrel becasue the shorter barrel will give it more rigidity in helping to control barrel harmonics. You are not shooting comp so don't worry about barrel getting hot. I had a Sako reciever and a short 22" #2 Douglas barrel in 7mm08 and it was very, very accurate and very light and was a very nice rig.

Back