For Nosler

7 STW

Beginner
Apr 18, 2006
Hey Nosler

Your AccuBond bullets are taking a good thrashing over at the campfire.Maybe a response could be in order?

I think that John already covered what needed to be said. Let them squabble, it's what they like to do.

As I just mentioned in another thread here, Nosler NEVER advertised the AccuBond to be a plastic-tipped Partition, much less a solid or a Fail Safe.

Instead it was designed to hold together better than the Ballistic Tip, and thus to APPROACH Partition penetration. They always advised everybody who wanted the ultimate in penetration from Nosler bullets to use Partitions.

So why did everybody all of a sudden choose AccuBonds to go shoot really big game? The one that really got me was on another thread (AccuBonds failing in Canada or something like that) where the guy shot a moose in the butt with an AccuBond and it didn't penetrate far enough. Well, what do you know! He attached some photos of the failed bullets, and they looked like nicely expanded bullets to me....

So far the vast majority of the stories I've seen here about AccuBond "failure" have been by people who apparently expected them to act like Fail Safes--or shot them into sand or some other substance that resembles animal tissue like Africa resembles Antarctica.

On the other side, for every so-called "failure" there are probably at least 20 tales of consistent AccuBond triumphs, apparently by people who did not try to shoot moose up the butt.

Now, if I were going to hunt something really big with a Nosler bullet and a .338 I would choose the 250-grain Partition, not even the 210 or 225 Partition. The lighter ones are good bullets, and I have used them some, but when you want to really drill some big animal with a .338, there is nothing on the market that does it like a 250-grain Partition.

John Barsness

Bullets are like tools. A good mechanic - or hunter - uses the best tool available for any given job.

A screwdriver is used for driving screws and a hammer is used for driving nails. If someone uses a screwdriver to hammer nails I fail to see how the tool is at fault.

The plastic tipped, boat-tailed, high BC bullets are designed for long range shooting. The recent development of the bonded core long-range bullets is a good compromise by the various manufactures to compensate for hunters who use long-range cartridges and bullets to shoot animals at bow range. With that said in my opinion they are not the best choice for close-range use on heavy animals. I also think at long-range on lighter animals up to the size of mule deer and caribou the original Ballistic Tip works slightly better.

As the "crescent wrench" in the hunter's tool box I think the AccuBond are just about ideal as a multi-use bullet but one must understand that they are not the perfect pick for all scenarios.

As the "crescent wrench" in the hunter's tool box I think the AccuBond are just about ideal as a multi-use bullet but one must understand that they are not the perfect pick for all scenarios.

Amen Cariboo

Savage99":rhqjg866 said:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=990257&page=0&vc=1&PHPSESSID=#Post990257

I haven't been there, but did notice a thrashing a couple years ago on the Accurate reloading site that I sometimes visit.

I figure that it is worth mentioning that the thrashing, IMHO, is well deserved. Here's my bullet failure story along with several other pages of examples with Accubonds right here on Nosler Reloading under the Hunting section:

http://noslerreloading.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=14150#14150.

There are countless examples of them only being a little better than ballistic tips

For every bashing there is praise. I think some of it is more operator error than anything else.

I'm with you POP. I'm very conservative on my loads and even more so on my shot placement, but I still like to use a premium bullet like what Nosler offers. In fact I get razzed a little by my kinfolk about using premium bullets. My father and grandfather have almost always used what was inexpensive, and I can't say that I ever remember them loosing any animal or complaining about a failed bullet. I don't forsee myself ever complaining about an AccuBond's performance. I think that are exactly what I have expected them to be, a bonded core BT.

I personaly have never had a bullet "fail".Every animal I have hit from bow range to 500+ yds.has died.The AccuBond penetrated my bull elk last year through the shoulders @ 450yds.But my ballistic tip's would have done the same,I think.Just my $.02

I have shot antelope with the 300 RUM 200 ab with very good performance. Yes I know, speedgoats are just a step up from coyotes as far as toughness is concerned.

This year I will try to take 2 elk and 3 antelope with the "TWINS.

7mm RUM 160 ab at 3205
300 RUM 200 ab at 3175

I will verify what I think I know. :oops:

Back