Forming Brass

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Is it possible to use 9.3X62 brass to form 35 Whelen brass?
I know the rim is .003" smaller and the overall length is shorter and there is a difference in the shoulder area.
I was thinking of just running it threw a 35 Whelen sizing die and then fire forming.
Would that work?

I would think it would come out spot on by just running it through the die. The shoulder will get pushed back and should end up right on the money.

I have ran into case neck separation again with my 35 Whelen Nosler brass that I fire formed to 35/AI.
I saw where I could buy 9.3X62 Lapua brass and was considering resizing it to 35 Whelen and fire forming to the 35/AI.
The case neck separates in the sizing die when resizing.
Cases were hand polished with flitz because I was working up test loads and only needed a few cases. So the cases were thoroughly inspected for defects before sizing.

Attachments

• KIMG0298.jpg
    KIMG0298.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 818
I have been using WW 30-06 cases to form mine, and I have not lost a single case. I have been annealing them first however.

Just curious about something and some info.
IS the base of the body on 30-06 ACTUALLY .370 when you buy it.

I find so much brass is undersized. Even the rim itself.

I have Lapua and Norma 9.3x62. The Norma actually measure .476-.4765.........the Lapua does not. .472".

Using the Lapua may work, but not sure I'd be comfortable with it but I'm picky. lol

Bought a set of new 9.3x62 lee FL dies........not happy. To get the Norma brass to bottom out I had to lube the snot out of it. Might send dies back.

That's not an area I like working in and out.

For the record and for the OP. Lapua new brass weighs 190-191 grains, Norma......5 grains more, but you'd have to pay the devil to get the Norma down to 06 base size.

Not in that resizing game but do wonder if you'd lose a couple grains capacity, if that matters. Also, the length of both, as they come is 2.436-2.437" . Isn't the Whelen AI 2.484 trim length?
Dont think Ive seen a drawing of it.

It made me wonder when I saw this thread.

Ive always wondered too........how the H Whelen brass could be formed from 06 and not have necks thin as all get out, Improved or otherwise. The separation dont surprise me but I have never done it either.
I've seen the reverse too. Some form 9.3x62 out of 06 brass too. Whoa.....not me. Scares me and I'm fearless.

Sizing down, I like, sizing up.........not so much.

God Bless

Back