Forster dies

slickrem

Handloader
Oct 22, 2016
What's your take on them?

Are they minimum spec'ed dies? Or what? Maybe a go between standard and say Wilson, RCBS gold metal, Redding, benchrest? Seems like Forster is at the top of the list.

I have been using them for 40 yrs now and couldn't be happier. I used RCBS before but I feel the Forster's are much better.

In most cases, these are my "go to" dies. You can make excellent ammunition with almost any dies, with some it is easier to accomplish this goal.

George Foster":23zkiqr7 said:
I have been using them for 40 yrs now and couldn't be happier. I used RCBS before but I feel the Forster's are much better.

care to elaborate ?

DrMike":loc6f07b said:
In most cases, these are my "go to" dies. You can make excellent ammunition with almost any dies, with some it is easier to accomplish this goal.

couldn't believe my eyes when I saw bullets wobble in my case master station, and the runout on case necks. I have a Bonanza seater coming in the mail. I dupped my RCBS to operate like a FL Forster. I'm hoping it will improve accuracy.

I like the way the sizing die is setup with the expanding button is higher up. Also the sleeved seating die (Non Micro) gives you very straight ammo. I know my accuracy improved when I started using them.

dies that use the sliding sleeve to help keep things aligned , "should " produce better ammo .

I'll second what jimbires wrote.

I think only the most discerning can tell between Forster and Redding.

German Slazar did testing and found the Redding to be top notch, but he did not test the Forster dies - http://www.uniquetek.com/store/696296/u ... Runout.pdf

I like the Hornady seating die, Lee Collet sizing die and Redding Body die combination. Combo has worked very well for me in 280 AI and 6.5 Creedmoor.

I load for several 30-06's, most are setup with semi-dedicated RCBS or Hornady dies. But I have a few common loads between them. I purchased a Forster 2 die BR set in 30-06 for those loads.

For one of the rifles the brass wasn't being sized down enough, Forster had me send the FL die in with a couple pieces of brass and they sent me a tighter die. Forster's BR dies are setup for minimal sizing - i.e. they are designed to size the body down closer to SAAMI max rather than min. I really like the FL sizing die with the button higher-up.

I've had issues getting the seating die setup properly; but I think it is setup correctly now. User error on my part, as I didn't have the die body part L-30 screwed down all the way. I'll know more in the spring once I start shooting.

DrMike":1l610gtm said:

Mike nailed my thoughts.

Forsters can almost be just put in the press and turn out straight ammo.

RCBS can be set up relatively the same way, but you lose the depriming option, since you have to run the ball up into the die so the neck and body are supported while the expander ball is pulled through the neck.

Also, if you leave the expander ball stem a bit loose, or use a soft rubber bushing in order allow the neck to come straight through the neck, versus the rod pulling through the neck making it crooked.

Just my experience.

SJB358

Did it. Works great, neck runout is under .002 It's a clone practically, with the only exception Forsters specs on thier internal die tolerances are, well... I'll let a rep from Forster say it better.....

Maximum Cartridge is close to minimum chamber, when you look it head space however maximum cartridge is longer than minimum chamber, meaning it has to be a hybrid between both. If you have a specific caliber you are inquiring about I would be happy to give you some dimensions to help better illustrate this.

Maximum Cartridge is close to minimum chamber,
I understand this

But not this
when you look it head space however maximum cartridge is longer than minimum chamber

A bit better than the standard die... I believe a finicky rifle would need a better die?

Weatherby Sako etc custom built aftermarket barrels really don't need ammo that has better concentricity.

Here it is... Bonanza Nosler 150 PT's BT's and Barnes 180 165 TTSX fit well in the factory seater stem IMG_0091.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back