French Walnut too light in color for me!

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
Several months ago, I tried to order a Kimber 8400 in .270 Win. I was told it was unlikely I would get one from my dealer, from Kimber. Well, the other day, I saw that one had come in, it was on the rack! I handled it, I really liked it "however" that French Walnut stock was too close to Birch in color...eweeeh! :) I like a rich, darker color stock, with marble cake English second. What wood is used for that dark, almost Mohogany colored gunstocks?

My .358 Norma Magnum is stocked with French Walnut. I don't find it in the least overly light. Don't know what the Kimber is looking like, however. My .358 is on the left side of this picture.

Well that is just gorgeous (said with an almost "feminine" ,lispy sounding ,voice! ha) That is what I had in mind, but the one I saw was plain, and almost maple in color...yuck.

Different species of walnut has different tones, I think you are thinking of claro or Peruvian walnut. The walnut stock I got from Boyd's is english or black walnut I think. It's pretty light.

download/file.php?id=8842&t=1

This is American walnut in a fancy grade from Richards with an oil and wax finish. Very happy with the color and figure. I've found their Claro to be significantly darker but also more porous. I'll see if I can find a pic of that rifle to post.

Not the greatest picture, but you can see the color. Claro semi-fancy/Linseed utility finish (220 grit) no wax. https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=57C59945

My experience with Euro walnut is mostly in military arms. I've found French or Bastogne walnut to be rather light and bland also. Darker grades come from English (very hard to come by) and Turkish or Italian Walnut. I had an Italian (Terni) Garand stock that was almost black.

This particular Kimber was also very bland, no figure. It was one of those "Select" models too...$1200 for pallet wood? Not for me...I too like the Turkish walnut, and any of the darker woods, but at least 'some" figure is nice. I guess that's why I like Marble Cake English so much. I'm not super picky, just stating a preference. Back in Bible School one Christmas, I went with my friends wife to Walmart and helped her pick him out a Mod 700 ADL ( this in '89) it has some of the most gorgeous wood, it looks custom, ha. I was drooling over it, and I did get to handload for him ( which meant I got to spend some time with it! :)) That was difference between a $350 rifle back then and this $1200 rifle now! ha.

Sounds like you prefer Claro or Turkish to English walnut, at least the way Kimber finishes it. I agree. I really like the SuperAmerica and even prefer the standard Kimber to the select.

However, English is really beautiful when treated well. Custom makers using English is my most preferred.

Here's a Claro for you:

Guns050_zpsqpdby79j.jpg

You're giving me the chills there Brother Douglas, ha, what a beautiful stock! Yes, that darker wood with figure just makes my 'soul" feel satisfied! :) The fleu de leis and ribbon checkering makes my bottom lip quiver too, not to mention that nice open pistol grip!

Thanks for the kind words. I can't wait to get her out hunting a bit! I don't know that I'll drag her through the Tetons (I fall too often!) but whitetail hunting close to home would be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'Day Fella's,

I'm the same Preacher!
Whilst I like Turkish Circassion walnut, it is the contrasting Black water line in this type of walnut that counters the Blonde of this wood, that makes it for me.
071.JPG

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

I agree, if Kimber would finish their selects with some bone black that would really improve their appearance.

joelkdouglas":fu3gapy4 said:
Thanks for the kind words. I can't wait to get her out hunting a bit! I don't know that I'll drag her through the Tetons (I fall too often!) but whitetail hunting close to home would be perfect.

That'll look perfect in Wyoming buddy. A couple scuffs will make it look perfect.

If it were a 270 Winchester we could probably kill an elk or 5 :lol:

You're killing me Mr Rigby! lol That's is just super nice! I'm not 'coveting it", I'd just like to have that Kimber .270 in a similar stock like all these darker stocks here. Help me Lord! :)

G'Day Fella's,

Yes indeed, Rigby Mauser's rifle and stock is very nice!

Here is another view of the Circassion Walnut on my .375 H&H and also, the Australian grown English Walnut on my .404 Jeffery.
DSCN0137.JPG

Enjoy,
Homer

G'Day Again,

FYI, I think this may be some Californian Carlo Walnut (Kimber 82)?
DSCN1401.JPG
DSCN1399.JPG

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!
Homer

Attractive figure in the wood, to be sure. Makes for a handsome rifle.

Back