generic powder ?

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
anybody using this stuff ?

PA180974.JPG

all joking aside ;
I have a bunch of old powder that was packaged in tin cans , and cardboard cans . the last year or two I've lost a couple cans due to the can rusting . I decided to save a few plastic jugs to repackage this old powder , in hopes to save it for future use . I saved 11 to many jugs . today I did the switch . I lost about 1/3 a can of "dupont " IMR4198 , due to rust . the other powders look good . I'm surprised how well the cardboard cans worked out over the years . notice the prices on this stuff . I should have really stocked up !

PA180975.JPG

PA180977.JPG

PA180963.JPG

PA180966.JPG

continued next post

Attachments

• PA180963.JPG
    PA180963.JPG
    726.8 KB · Views: 478
PA180969.JPG

the rusty can .

PA180970.JPG

PA180971.JPG

the rusty powder . the IMR4198 powder is the rusty stuff . I dumped a little IMR 4895 on the right side to see how it looked . it looks fine .

PA180962.JPG

DuPont started as a powder maker on the Brandywine River in the 1700’s.

His kids worked there and atleast one was killed during a manufacturing mishap (boom). The original design was set up so if the powder blew during the cooking process, it would flash out over the river.

If you ever get to Wilmington Delaware, seek out the DuPont homestead on the Brandywine. The old powder making facilities are still on the banks. The house is original and the tour guides are very knowledgeable.

The original office of old Man DuPont still stands and has his rifle (musket?) on the wall. Impressive. The headquarters was no more than 24’x24’. Accounting, mailroom, and me DuPonts office. They used Roman numeral M for 1000’s as metric was not adopted. France did adopt it first in Europe about the time DuPont started his business. I think I have one DuPont Can if it wasn’t tossed in the flood. I’ll look next time I’m in the powder magazine.

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0ebb2b76dd477ccf2ca313f4ebe57c82.jpg

You can see the buildings are open to the river...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mjcmichigan, interesting story and neat photo.

Jim, you done the right thing repackaging that powder into modern canisters. I ran into an issue with some old cans I was using where the powder itself looked and smelled fine, and initially was fine. But I should've done what you done, right off the bat. I used it as is and from dumping powder out and back in with the existing cans, the powder acted as a scrubber on fine surface rust inside the can and I ruined it.

I'm out of old rusty powder . I dumped this powder out in the back yard and burned it . I wish I would have thought to repackage it sooner . this is not a powder I use often so it was kind of pushed to the back

I have done the same thing with my old powder switching from can to plastic bottle.

Back