Getting a new scope but have a ????

Which VX II are you getting?
The 40mm Objective lens will work with medium height rings.

JD338

I am going to order the 3-9x40 gloss finish with standard duplex. It will go on the .338 or replace the Bushnell on the 06. I don't know which rifle to put it on.

From Leupold's website:

50mm OBJECTIVES will almost always use HIGH rings in a given style. In certain instances, such as with extremely heavy barrels or some makes of firearm, SUPER HIGH rings may be necessary.
42-45mm OBJECTIVES will almost always use MEDIUM rings in a given style. In certain instances, 45mm scopes may require HIGH rings.
40mm OBJECTIVES will almost always have enough clearance with LOW rings in a given style, though MEDIUM rings will give slightly more clearance, particularly when using a barrel with a thicker shank portion or a heavier contour.
28-36mm OBJECTIVES will almost always use LOW rings in a given style. Again, in certain instances of a heavy barrel or heavy shank portion of a custom barrel, medium rings may have to be used, but LOW rings will almost always suffice.
20-24mm OBJECTIVES will almost always be able to use LOW rings, but in some cases may also use SUPER LOW rings. In this instance, bolt handle clearance of the eyepiece will come into play more so than objective/barrel clearance and should be carefully considered.
VX-3L 50mm RIFLESCOPES will almost always use LOW rings, but in some instances, where there is a very small barrel shank or relatively light barrel, they will be able to use SUPER LOW rings for the lowest practical mounting. Again, as in 20mm riflescopes, eyepiece versus bolt handle clearance will be more critical in many cases than objective/barrel clearance.
VX-3L 56mm RIFLESCOPES will almost always use LOW rings, but in some instances, where there is a very pronounced barrel shank or relatively heavy barrel, they will use MEDIUM rings.
VX-3L RIFLESCOPES can not be mounted in super low rings with a one-piece base, as the power selector ring will impinge on the rear of the base.
PRISMATIC HUNTING SCOPES include their own integral mounting systems that allow four distinct mounting heights depending upon application. No Leupold riflescope, including the VX-7L/VX-3L lines, will fit into SUPER LOW rings if using a one-piece base.

It depends on the rings and the barrel contour. I have found that the Warne Maxima rings will hold a 40mm VX2 scope objective bell on low rings which are .250 height to the bottom of the scope. Warne rings are in .125 height increments between low, medium and high. Other rings, such as Tactical rings (i.e. TPS) are .285 height to the bottom of the scope tube and are in .200 inch increments between low, medium and high.

For my 50mm objective bell scopes the Tactical medium rings (TPS) will work fine on Maxima steel bases and medium height tactical rings. These have adequate clearance on Winchester Model 70, Mauser Large ring and Weatherby Mark V actions with standard sporter weight barrels contours. This is assuming of course that the eye box diameter clears your bolt handle on ejection.

Maybe this will help you this is a Leupold 2-7x33 in the rings that come with the gun which I think are medium, there would be lots of room there for a 3-9x40 scope.

375ruger.jpg

We've been experimenting with EGW tactical rails for the Rem 700. The rail and medium height Warne/Weaver rings put the scope about 1/4" higher than a typical medium height Leupold/Burris/Redfield mount & ring set.

Back