Mil vs moa

Honestly, I don't really understand why long range shooters use MILs instead of MOA since MOA is a bit finer adjustment. I prefer MOA, but I also don't dial much so I could really do with either.
If I remember correctly, one of the advantages of MIL is that it can be fairly easily used to estimate the distance to a target of a known size by measuring the apparent size of the object with the reticles markings. It might be able to be done with MOA as well, but a metric measurement makes it simple. It's been a bit since I looked into this though, I'll have to see if I can find the articles I read to learn about the difference a few years back.

Here's one article that gives some explanation: https://blog.primaryarms.com/guide/mil-vs-moa-vs-bdc-reticles-guide/

Last edited:
It is equally easy to reticle range, whether you are milling or moaing.
If you have a good reticle, and some reasonably good ballistic software it can become easier.
Holland ballistic software, let you print up drop charts to where you can pick your target size, and then it makes reticle ranging, much easier without having to do any math, whether you are using MIL or MOA
IMG_4183.png

Last edited:
Following the advice of the folks here, today I followed through with my original plan and bought a Leupold 20240314_203401.jpgMark 4-HD 6-24x52 in the MOA system.

Using a set of Vortex 34mm rings I mounted it on my Tikka Super Varmint 6.5 PRC. I was very happy with how combination turned out.

Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge and expertise.

Ron

It is equally easy to reticle range, whether you are milling or moaing.
If you have a good radical, and some reasonably good software can become easier.
Holland ballistic software, let you print up drop charts to where you can pick your target size, and then it makes radical ranging, much easier without having to do any math, whether you are using MIL or MOA
It's funny you bring up Holland's software, I hadn't looked into it in depth, but Holland is one of my gunsmithing instructors.:)

Following the advice of the folks here, today I followed through with my original plan and bought a Leupold View attachment 22238Mark 4-HD 6-24x52 in the MOA system.

Using a set of Vortex 34mm rings I mounted it on my Tikka Super Varmint 6.5 PRC. I was very happy with how combination turned out.

Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge and expertise.

Ron
That is a dandy scope that should serve you very well! Congratulations!!

I am looking at a MK5 HD 7-35x with the PR2 MOA reticle myself. Seen one at the local gun shop the other day and fell in love with it. Way better than my current dinosaur 6-20x and 8-25x MK4s haha.

I have one of those. Good Scope.
Good to know. I plan to put it on either my 223 or 6 creed. Worth the $2400 price tag you think? Anything you don't like about it? I like the 100 MOA elevation adjust over the 70 of my current MK4s...The glass should also be a huge upgrade, and lastly the PR2 reticle seems super nice to have for LR shooting and quick follow up adjustments over the basic TMR in the MK4s. The big thing also is obviously the tracking, if it's good there, should be a solid option.

Back