Girls and guns

maverick2

Handloader
Dec 22, 2013
My daughter (8 yrs old) started showing a lot of interest in hunting this year, so had her tag along for a day of whitetail hunting over Thanksgiving. It wasn't the easiest day (cold, with snow and ice covered ground) but we saw deer, and had a helluva nice 3-4 mile walk thru some beautiful Idaho timber. She ended the day as excited as she started, so a month later she found a Henry Golden Boy .22LR under the Christmas tree with her name on it. What an excited little girl -- was pretty cool watching the wheels turn in that little head about the adventures she could have!

After she got home from school this afternoon, I took her out shooting for the first time. What a ball! We set up a 25-yd target, and walked off the yardage ("... because Dad, if the target says 25 yds, we're going to play by the rules...") I took 3 shots to adjust the open sights and show her the dos and don'ts, and then I set her up to shoot. She was pretty tentative on her first shot not knowing what exactly to expect, but somehow managed to punch the 7 ring amidst all the wiggling. That little bit of success was all it took. She cussed herself on shot #2 as she just missed the paper, and then proceeded to get progressively better as she figured out the sight picture. Shots 3 and 4 found the 8 ring, shots 5 and 6 hit the 9 ring, and then shot 7 found the X! I was dumb-founded (and a little surprised my wife -- 2 miles away -- didn't hear our whooping and hollering when she hit the X...)

Decided that's a pretty good note to end on, so called it a day as the sun went down and the temps started to drop. It's funny, I've never been one to save targets, but I think I'll save this one...
[URL=http://s870.photobucket.com/us.../maverick_2/Hunting/SavandGoldenBoy.jpg[/img][/url]

Oh man that is just plain AWESOME!!!!

Well done Dad. I have three girls myself and the two oldest (4 and 6) have already been out in the woods a couple times.

Great memories to for sure be saved.

That's the way!

My lil girl with her purple 7mm-08

Great images and a happy little girl. Congratulations on that success, Dad! She looks really pleased with the results.

Way to go Dad!
You got a hunting partner now. :grin: I wish you both many years of shooting and hunting together.

Man, a story like that just warms the heart. Congratulations on making memories like that. It is great to see our daughters pulling the trigger on their own firearms.

FOTIS":yvmvh783 said:
That's the way!

My lil girl with her purple 7mm-08

Ah yes, accessorizing with purple and pink... I've been indoctrinated to the importance of that as well...

That is very cool! It warms my heart like nothing else can when my daughter says she wants to go shooting or asks me if I'm going to teach her how to shoot. I would imagine that you are one proud papa.

That is really great she looks like a very happy girl :) It is nice to see so many of you taking both their boys and girls out into the woods and also teaching them to shoot, both of them need their dads desperately.

Great! I love reading these kinds of posts. I've been doing BB gun with my 10yo this month, and just got a youth model 20 gauge Win SX3 for my wife (104 lbs) and kids to start skeet with.

That grin warms my heart!

click on picture

Attachments

• anna.jpg
    anna.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 247
Back