Going to order M48 Custom 280 AI.

dezmick

Beginner
Mar 5, 2011
I am planning on ordering a M48 Custom 280 AI some time around the first of the year, i drove down to Nosler on Wednesday and had a good talk with Shawn, and told him what i was wanting and he emailed me a quote with everything on it, now the reason it wont be until the first of the year is the price, i need to save up some more money 5,638.00 :grin: :grin: :grin:

I am thinking of just going with the 140 grn AB and using it on deer and elk, but i will ask for the Custom hand loaded ammo and just use it for both deer and elk, any opinions are welcome.

I apparently got in while the getting was good! Wow- $5100?

You will love the M48.... my favorite hunting rifle!

Yeah, i was thinking of getting the $5,100 dollar package, but i wanted a 280 AI with the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT scope, so Shawn put it all in a package with the case, 2 boxes of ammo, leather sling, muzzle brake and rifle for a total of $5,638 it will be exactly what i want even if it cost a little bit more, it ends up being a little bit less than the expedition package and will have 2 detachable mags with it as well, so i am pretty sure that i am going to love the rifle when i get enough money to order it.

That sounds like a very nice build. Hard to argue with the 280 Ackley, but if it were me, with elk on the menu, I would probably opt for the 150 ABLR or 160 AB. Seems the Ackley has plenty of steam to move both of those bullets around 3000 or so, which should translate into more energy for elk, especially at longer ranges, and since your going with the Swaro, might as well maximize case space. Just my opinion though, as I favor the heavier bullets if I've got the ability to push them moderately fast.

That's a heckuva a package though. The rest of my rifles would be scared to have something like that in the safe though. I couldn't think of many hunting scenarios where that combo wouldn't work really well.

I'm sure that will be a dandy rifle and serve you well. But since you haven't plunked down the cash yet, I'll give you something to consider. If you hand load, detachable mags can be problematic if you ever want to play around with COAL. If you stick with 140s then I'm sure 160 factory ammo will work in those mags. But man, we've got guys here that could give you some loads for 160s that would be an absolute hammer.
I'm like the other guy, I like heavy for caliber bullets, pushed fast.
Also, other than very pricey Nosler stuff, the .280AI is basically a hand loaders chambering. At least that I'm aware of. So if you went on a trip of lifetime type hunt and somehow your ammo went missing, they don't sell that ammo at WW like they do say, .300WM or something.
Just food for thought and all my $0.02 adjusted for inflation in Obama dollars.

Razorbacker":29111ulz said:
Also, other than very pricey Nosler stuff, the .280AI is basically a hand loaders chambering. At least that I'm aware of. So if you went on a trip of lifetime type hunt and somehow your ammo went missing, they don't sell that ammo at WW like they do say, ..

The beauty of the Ackley Improved cartridges is they it will chamber and fire regular old .280 Remington ammo should your cartridges go AWOL.

I understand what you are saying, that is why i will most likely not go with the detachable mags, and just go with the hinged floor plate. I am also thinking of going with the Nosler Custom 150grn E-Tip for the extra mass, an since it is a copper bullet it will hit like a much larger bullet. I do not plan on reloading for this rifle, but if i have to i will even though getting powder and primers right now can tend to be difficult at times, and i would need to get allot of other stuff as well in order to do that, so most likely i will be just using the hand loaded Nosler Custom loads in either 150 grn E-Tip or 140 grn AB.

dezmick":ux0993da said:
I understand what you are saying, that is why i will most likely not go with the detachable mags, and just go with the hinged floor plate. I am also thinking of going with the Nosler Custom 150grn E-Tip for the extra mass, an since it is a copper bullet it will hit like a much larger bullet. I do not plan on reloading for this rifle, but if i have to i will even though getting powder and primers right now can tend to be difficult at times, and i would need to get allot of other stuff as well in order to do that, so most likely i will be just using the hand loaded Nosler Custom loads in either 150 grn E-Tip or 140 grn AB.

Now you're talkin' brother, you'll have options.

DM I can't argue with that order! It will be a great set up for you and do everything you want. If you do by chance find some 280AI custom made bullets using ABLRs by other companies it would be fun to try the 160gr or 168gr. bullet out of that rifle.
Just a thought :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Love the M48 rifle, just one outstanding rifle. I need to save up and get an M48 TGR in 30-06, I really want one bad. I know you will be happy with that rifle.

Back