Good rifle for the Lefty's out there.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
A hair bit on the steep side of what I'd want to pay retail, but it does say the price is negotiable. Getting really hard to find one in this condition and this one has above average wood in my opinion.

This would be the BDL deluxe model........basket weave checkering and a step up receiver that you can see in the last picture. That step up receiver feature is unique to the BDL basket weave checkering model. They were made 1966-1979. Probably not a lot made in a left handed configuration. If any of you lefty's out there are interested in something like this, you'd be hard pressed to run across another in this kind of condition without a stupid price tag attached to it in today's world.

Nice. Guy, I went to high school with had one in a righthand. Dan.

My one brother has had one for probably 30 yrs now in a 308 which is hard to come across. It is carbine length, but not factory. Whoever did it did a bang up job as it looks like a factory carbine, but does not have the CARBINE stamped on the left side of the barrel. I've tried to talk him out of it as he rarely hunts anymore, but so far he's wisely resisted. :ROFLMAO:

That's a keeper right there Jeff. Would make for a dandy woods rifle.
And those 760's are shooters too.
I had a chance to get a 760 Carbine in 308 Win last year but passed on it because I had a M21 308 on order. I could have gotten it for around $800. I probably should have bought it!

JD338

That's a keeper right there Jeff. Would make for a dandy woods rifle.
And those 760's are shooters too.
I had a chance to get a 760 Carbine in 308 Win last year but passed on it because I had a M21 308 on order. I could have gotten it for around $800. I probably should have bought it!

JD338

If it was a legit carbine and had CARBINE in all capitol letters on the barrel and was in good shape, yes you should have. That rifle in a 308 is $1,500 all day every day around here, depending on the configuration ( 5 diamond etc) and condition it could easily be higher.

I think I will revisit this...

JD338

Think of it this way..........out of all the 760's produced, 308's only made up about 8% of that total.

Carbines of all cartridges only made up about 6% of the total rifles produced. Out of those carbines just like the standard rifle length, the vast majority was 30-06.

If 308's only made up 8% of the total to start with, you can imagine how few of them are hanging around in a carbine. The only one's harder to come up with that were produced in a carbine that I'd be aware of is the 35 Remington and the 280 Remington.

BTW, 35 Remington only made up about 3% of the total rifles produced, the 1979 year I have was a one off year......they stopped chambering them in 1967 and bought them back for 1 yr so I'd have no idea how little of those are around. But, even though the 35 Remington only made up 3% of the total, I've still ran into more of them over the yrs than I have 308's. The 308 in a 760 just rarely shows up for whatever reason.

Jim, about a month back a guy had a basket weave 760 like the link I posted on the original post, and it was a 308. It was in what I'd call very good condition for it's age, but not as nice as the 270 I posted. He had it priced at $925 and I didn't have that cash on me at the moment or I'd of bought it and been happy to bring it home at that price. $925 was retail price for a nice basket weave 760 like that, but he didn't have the 308 chambering priced into it............he was about $300 shy of the value.

Those 760's are really holding their value. A good condition later model 30-06 will bring $725-$750. If someone has one on a table for $650 it will be gone by the next time I make a round. Unless it's really beat up, a 308 carbine for $800 is CHEAP!

Boy they ain't given them away. Back in the mid eighties my 7400 in 308 was $415 out the door and my brother’s 7600 308 was $390.

Departed friend of mine had a 760 308 carbine that his wife bought him for Christmas in 1977. He loved that gun. Have only seen one at a gun show since. Dan.

Back