Good Surprise.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Picked up 2 boxes of .358 Hornady 200 gr RN the other day off a table. Commented to the man about the boxes looking old, and he told me those bullets were put in there out of a bag. I remember thinking that's odd, I didn't know you could buy Hornady bullets in a bulk bag. Opened up a box and glanced at the bullets and they were bright and shiny, so I bought them.

Was gonna load up some for my 35 Rem to see how they shoot. Soon as I took one out of the box to load it and actually looked at it, I realized that's no Hornady. There's only one bullet in the .358 RN design that has scalloped edges like that with a large amount of soft lead on the end. A Remington Core Lokt.

You gotta watch some of those table guys, some will try to snooker you. What he doesn't know is that I'd 3x rather have the core lokt's than the Hornady's that he boxed them under. To me the 200 RNCL is the best bullet going for a 35 Rem, and you could no longer buy them as components for a very long time now.

So now I have 2 boxes of the 200 RNCL to use and don't have to pull any from the factory boxes that I have. Can sell some of those factory bullets or hold onto them for now. The snookering worked the other way. :ROFLMAO:

Well, the dirty secret I heard a few times is that Hornady made bullets for Remington a few times over the years and have seen a few that I’d believe were Hornady.

Either way, the 200 CLRN is an awesome 35 Remington bullet.

I don't think he was trying to snooker you. He told you that the bullets were put in those boxes from a bag. Regardless, either works fine at normal 35 Remington ranges.

I don't think he was trying to snooker you. He told you that the bullets were put in those boxes from a bag. Regardless, either works fine at normal 35 Remington ranges.
Snooker, not divulging all the information, whatever you want to call it. They were sold to me under the pretense they were hornady bullets in the hornady boxes, he probably thought saying they were out of a remington bulk bag wouldn't be as attractive. But to me if I'd of figured out ahead of time they were the remington core lokts, I'd of jumped on them all the quicker.

I probably put near a 100 of them through my 760 from pulled bullets from factory ammo I have, that I then make my own loads with. Shoot like a dream out of that rifle and work dandy on game. I like em.

Snooker, not divulging all the information, whatever you want to call it. They were sold to me under the pretense they were hornady bullets in the hornady boxes, he probably thought saying they were out of a remington bulk bag wouldn't be as attractive. But to me if I'd of figured out ahead of time they were the remington core lokts, I'd of jumped on them all the quicker.

I probably put near a 100 of them through my 760 from pulled bullets from factory ammo I have, that I then make my own loads with. Shoot like a dream out of that rifle and work dandy on game. I like em.
Whatever you say.

That was a pleasant surprise. I like Remington CL but have seen good results from the Hornady FTX. Any chance that guys got anymore and you could buy some more untruthful bullets, lol 😆

That was a pleasant surprise. I like Remington CL but have seen good results from the Hornady FTX. Any chance that guys got anymore and you could buy some more untruthful bullets, lol 😆
Could be Dan! I'd buy them in a heartbeat. He doesn't even have to put them in Hornady .358, 200 grain round nose boxes for me. (y):LOL:

I’ve never tried that 200 FTX. Any of you guys?

I’d assume they’d work just as well as the other 35 Remington bullets.

Bet they’d be deer dynamite from my 358 Win.

I've used the FTX in the 356 Win and the 358 Win. Can't see that I gained anything over the bullets I'd used before, but I certainly didn't lose anything either. They are a good bullet at the velocities generated in those cartridges.

Scott, I loaded some in 35 Remington several years ago. I didn't shoot anything with them except paper but accuracy was very good.

Ron

ST,
Nice find. You are correct, the Remington SPCL is the best choice for the 35 Rem.

JD338

I’ve never tried that 200 FTX. Any of you guys?

I’d assume they’d work just as well as the other 35 Remington bullets.

Bet they’d be deer dynamite from my 358 Win.
I have used them as did a grandson. Good expansion and inside damage without lot of bloodshot. Used the Rem 200gr CL, Speer 180FP but like the Hornady 200gr FTX best of all. Makes the 35 Rem a 200 yd caliber for sure. Dan.

Back