Got my 44!

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Well my eye caught this one on the auctions and I got it for a song.....literally!

The barrel is 6" long and thi gun is like new.
Now I can not really tell from the pictures but can anyone tell me if the first 629 were pinned and recessed? If so I hope the strength is not an issue!

Can anyone tell me anything about it?

pix954183062.jpg

pix954182593.jpg

Very nice Pop, congratulations.
I have the 629 Classic, the lug follow the entire length of the 6.375" barrel.
Not sure what you are refering to "pinned" but I haven't had any issues shooting even the 300 gr XTP's.
My bullet of choice these days is the 250 gr PT over 21.0 grs H110 and a CCI mag primer in a W-W case.

JD338

POP,

Congrats !! Going to make it out this weekend? It's ( I think ) finally supposed to be decent.... sure would like for the wind to quit tho !

Good looking piece !!

Thanx.

JD in the old days SW put a pin through the barrel (one end) to lock them. Not sure exactly how it worked.

POP":z280zg4f said:
Thanx.

JD in the old days SW put a pin through the barrel (one end) to lock them. Not sure exactly how it worked.

Thanks Pop.

Here is a pic of mine. Scope is a Leupold M8 2x
JDDoe44Mag112905-1.jpg

JD338

I had Anacondas, taurus and redhawks. Nothing comes close to a SW for smoothness. The only thing that worries me is the strength issue.

Nice looking 629 Pops! Congrats!! :grin:

I wouldn't worry about the strength unless you plan on running heavy loads constantly through her. The 629 is alot fun with lead and .44special for plinking and playing.

Again thanx fellas. I guess I have been spoiled with the Super Redhawks where you do not think about stresses and heavy loads.
For all my 44's the only load I have ever used was 300 XTP at 1100 fps and rarely anything else.
Now I got to take it easy on the Smith.

A 300 grain at 1100 is not a heavy load. I think the smith would handle that pretty easy.
Those 629's are very nice of the ones I have handled. My father has one that I shot and loaded for.

From what I gather it is an early pinned and recessed one made around 1978. That means it is one of the smoothest ever made-- so I have been told. I should know more once it arrives---for sure.

Got here yesterday. It looked like someone threw it in their truck tool box with a bunch of wrenches and hammers! Sent it back, what a disappointment! :evil:

So after a long ordeal I wound up with a Ruger redhawk with a 5.5" tube stainless. Finally I am happy. Now let's see how she shoots!

Back