Got My Elk

Over the counter (bumper?) tags available ?
Yes but being that I’m moving I don’t have time or room.

Trooper asked if I wanted a salvage tag but I declined. While on the phone with 911 I told the Operator I was going to put her out of her misery. She was lying in the middle of the road creating a traffic hazard and unable to get off the road under her own power but was able to kick a little with one leg.

Not wanting to risk injury by attempting to move her as she was kicking I proceeded to put a .41 Remington Magnum, 175 grain Silvertip JHP, into her brain while talking with the 911 Operator. I explained to the Operator that the animal was a traffic hazard, had the potential to injure myself or the gentleman that stopped to help me, and she was clearly suffering.

I also informed the Operator that I had a safe backstop, no traffic, and some of my previous experience. She said, “OK. I’ll just make a notation on the call sheet.” At first she wanted me to wait for the Trooper and that they could dispatch it if necessary. If I had opted to wait for the Trooper I’d still be waiting as he wasn’t coming. All the paperwork was done via text, photos, and email.
The Trooper informed me that he wasn’t going to come out as he had more pressing matters to deal with. I’m glad I made the decision to do what I did.

It was also nice to see how my bipedal .41 Magnum load did against a cow elk skull. I don’t think I have anything to worry about as far as load performance if I need it for a social occasion.

Vince

While Jeeps have terrible BCs, and penetration can be lacking, there is no denying the frontal area impact energy departed on the game animal!
Glad you're OK and damage was fairly minimal to your vehicle.

Glad you are OK. Ive known people in cars to get seruiously injured from animal strikes. Definitely one of those shorts check moments. Years ago my uncle hit a deer with the Mercury Monarch. Dont recall what happend to the car but the deer was in the ditch apparently out cold. My uncle administered what he thought was the coup de gras with the only tool avaiable in the "good car", a tire iron. Threw the deer in the trunk, and finished the trip home. When he got on the yard, opened the trunk and the deer jumped out and started hobbling around the yard. Fortunately, the .22 was behind the kitchen door. True story. CL

Been lucky I guess. I was taking what I call the back road to hook up with a lady friend as we planned to do dinner and a movie. It was at that time a two lane twisty road that wad fun to go fast on with my 66 Mustang, (Not exactly stock) A guy passed me going like a bat out of hell which was stupid as the fog had rolled in and was thick. Thick enough to condense on the windshield and needed to use the wipers. Long story short I see his tail light come on and damned if he didn't take out a deer. I checked to see if he was OK, loaded the now very dead deer into the trnk and went on to see my lady friend. I did drop the dude off to where he could use a phone. Picked up my lady friend, told her we have to stop at my place as I had a chore to do. Hung the deer in the garage and did a fast gut and skinning job, cleaned up and tool my lady to dinner It was too late to do the movie. She'd never eaten venison before so about a week Later treated her to back straps and baked taters. She was never in favor of hunting but at least knows why I hunt.
Paul B.

Back