Got To Chrono Staball 6.5 In My 270 Win

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
So, with the ranges closed, I went “coyote” hunting today and happened to find my Magnetospeed in my pack. THEN, I stumbled upon a roughly 10’ tall earth ledge. What are the odds?!

Shooting prone with a bipod at 100yds measured with laser range finder, Staball aint too shabby.

-TC Venture with Boyd’s Prairie Hunter stock, in 270 Win
-24” barrel
-130 grain Nosler BT tumbled in HBN
-56gr Staball 6.5(worked up to this) with Frankfurt Arsenal Intelidropper
-CCI 200 primer
-New, sized Win brass
-COAL 3.340”, .020” off lands, measured with Hornady OAL gauge
-Two 5 shot groups, both less than 1/2”
-Groups fired as follows, Spent case ejected and bolt left open for 30 seconds between shots, rifle cooled in shade for 15 minutes between the two groups
-AVG 3128 fps (10 shots)
-ES 17 (10 shots)
-SD 5.5 (10 shots)
-74 degrees Fahrenheit in the sun, about 70% humidity
-No pressure signs(easy on primers), easy bolt lift with what seemed lighter than normal recoil compared to my IMR 4831 loads, no measurement though

I like the powder so far, and I’m sticking with this load for deer. To me it’s pushing a BT pretty hard as it is. Gonna work on 130 grain Partition, and Hot Cor loads with it also. It’s not magic dust, but I’ve tried some much less consistent. Seeing as I have 15 lbs of it left, it’s good enough. I got an 8lb jug, then my wife and Mother-in-Law bought me another one before I had fired a round of it. Lol

Got skunked on Pasture Poodles this time though. I’ve dyed her sling black, so no brown now. B1F62BB7-CF32-4938-9268-ED16E5BEF271.jpeg

Typo corrected, ES was 17.........not 16. Fat fingers. Lol

Thanks for that Joe, very informative. You just happened to find the magneto in your pack!!!!!!!!!! How big's your pack??
That was funny.

Kevin

It’s the Magnetospeed Sporter. I love it. One model below the V3 I think. When it’s cased everything takes up the space of a riflescope.

Thanks for the info. Hodgdon is showing some great speeds with it in a bunch of cartridges including the 270 Win. May need to try it in our 260, 6.5x55 and 270 Win.

ReloadKy":1bt2epzh said:
That is excellent velocity for the ol 270!
I’ve had a 270 Winchester of one make or another for the last 35 years. Only one was finicky with what it shot. It was part of the family for a very short time.

I’m going to see what it will do with 130gr Partitions. The rifle shoots them as well as BT’s with IMR4831. I should have started with the PT to begin with.

I have a 270 as well. Handed down from my father, a remington model 700 ADL from the 80's. I just recently had a timney trigger put in and bedded the action. It shoots the 130 ballistic tips well but only with IMR 4350. I cannot get the 130 BT to shoot under an inch with other powders. I have chrony'd some loads and have gotten several groups in the 3040 range. One of my better ones not with a BT was with hornady interlock 130's and H4350. That was well under an inch at had an average velocity of 2996.

ReloadKy":zpyeszjg said:
I have a 270 as well. Handed down from my father, a remington model 700 ADL from the 80's. I just recently had a timney trigger put in and bedded the action. It shoots the 130 ballistic tips well but only with IMR 4350. I cannot get the 130 BT to shoot under an inch with other powders. I have chrony'd some loads and have gotten several groups in the 3040 range. One of my better ones not with a BT was with hornady interlock 130's and H4350. That was well under an inch at had an average velocity of 2996.
Nothing comes close to a rifle handed down to you by a loved one. The history, the stories it could tell. I Grew up in West Virginia and have a Model 94 30 WCF handed down from my Granddad. It went to my dad, now to me, and will go to my son. It only has 5 digits in the SN and was made in 1897. It still shoots great and no amount of money could buy or replace it. I hold onto my guns. I have only sold 3 in my life. You hold onto your daddy’s rifle, it will always treat you right.

Sounds like it works pretty well in the 270. It looks like it’ll really shine in the 30-06/7-08 as well.

Looks like it’s pretty accurate with that combo as well.

Looking good. I had a 24" stainless Rem. 700 in 270 Win that I ran the old 60 gr H-4831 MAX load using Rem. cases a CCI BR-2 primer with 130 Nosler BT and Sierra Game Kings. Both averaged 3140 fps and it would shoot bug holes. WICKED on deer. I had gotten this rifle in a trading deal and shot a few deer with it but it had basically become a safe queen. My hunting buddy wanted it but we never could get together on a price or a deal until he acquired a custom built NEW never fired Rem. 700 with a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel in 264 Win mag. He shot it with some factory ammo to sight it in and shot a few deer with it that season and then out of the blue offered it to me for the 270 even up. Did not take me long to shake on it before he changed his mind. I worked up a load for the 264 Win mag with 130 AccuBond using Retumbo and averages 3350 fps with sub MOA accuracy. It is like shooting a laser beam across a bean field on deer. Kills like it also.

1Shot":2lzzezic said:
Looking good. I had a 24" stainless Rem. 700 in 270 Win that I ran the old 60 gr H-4831 MAX load using Rem. cases a CCI BR-2 primer with 130 Nosler BT and Sierra Game Kings. Both averaged 3140 fps and it would shoot bug holes. WICKED on deer. I had gotten this rifle in a trading deal and shot a few deer with it but it had basically become a safe queen. My hunting buddy wanted it but we never could get together on a price or a deal until he acquired a custom built NEW never fired Rem. 700 with a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel in 264 Win mag. He shot it with some factory ammo to sight it in and shot a few deer with it that season and then out of the blue offered it to me for the 270 even up. Did not take me long to shake on it before he changed his mind. I worked up a load for the 264 Win mag with 130 AccuBond using Retumbo and averages 3350 fps with sub MOA accuracy. It is like shooting a laser beam across a bean field on deer. Kills like it also.
You made out like a bandit on that deal! You sure you weren’t holding his favorite hunting dog hostage to get him to agree?! Lol.

"You made out like a bandit on that deal! You sure you weren’t holding his favorite hunting dog hostage to get him to agree?! Lol."

Nope! Didn't even have to twist his arm. He is the wheeling and dealing-est LUCKYEST person I know. He never keeps a rifle very long. He usually would trade for something and work up a load for it shoot a few deer with it. (He lived in east NC and did crop damage control for 30 years and I helped for 3 weeks each year for 15 of those years. We had to take 100 deer off a big farm every year.) Maybe even use it a whole deer season then take a fancy for something else and trade it off always making money in the deal. A few years back I would go to a gun show with him and when He walked in he might have some rifle, shotgun or pistol. He went his way and I went my way usually. A few hours latter when we got ready to leave he would have two or three different weapons and a pocket full of money. He is a yard sale nut. I have more than once seen him purchase of box of something for maybe $10 and it would have $200 worth of stuff in it. I have always told him that he could fall in the outhouse and come out smelling like a rose. He does not get to hunt and shoot and do much these days because he is 85 years old with a bad heart.

My 270 that was handed down to me doesn't get to hunt much anymore. I am too scared I will drop it out of a tree stand, lol!! I will take it on a hunt that I know i will be in a ground blind so I can try to add some deer to the total that rifle has already accounted for!! I changed out the trigger for a timney because my model was in the recall group from a while back. I want it to be safe because my son wants it for his next rifle!!

SJB358":t7uzwhxw said:
Sounds like it works pretty well in the 270. It looks like it’ll really shine in the 30-06/7-08 as well.

I’ve got some loaded with 130 grain Partitions and Hot Cor’s now. I’m going to see how they do. I expect them to be comparable to the BT. The rifle seems to even shoot loads it doesn’t like fairly well.

I use the Speer Hot Cor rounds for the range and leave the Partition loads for hunting. With IMR4831 both bullets have the same POI. The Hot Cor is more than tough enough for deer if that’s what you have loaded. Good bullet.

Let’s see if I get the same POI with Staball.

ReloadKy":2epr20fx said:
My 270 that was handed down to me doesn't get to hunt much anymore. I am too scared I will drop it out of a tree stand, lol!! I will take it on a hunt that I know i will be in a ground blind so I can try to add some deer to the total that rifle has already accounted for!! I changed out the trigger for a timney because my model was in the recall group from a while back. I want it to be safe because my son wants it for his next rifle!!
You’re doin it right. And look at it this way. There’s even a story behind a scratch.

SJB358":277qom7d said:

It seems consistent and accurate so far. It shoots well. Great velocity with less powder.

In all honesty I get the same velocities and accuracy with IMR-4831. The Recoil of Staball seems “snappier” with a smidge less push than the IMR. Staball flows better but I weigh my charges. I can’t say one way or the other about copper fouling, as this rifle copper fouls very little if any with IMR-4831 as well. I’ll say it like this. It’s not magic but it’s a very good powder so far.

That's impressive. I am seriously thinking of trying it in my .30/06 with the 165gr BT.

boomer68":2x2eiv38 said:
That's impressive. I am seriously thinking of trying it in my .30/06 with the 165gr BT.

Yes, Hodgdon is showing 3000 fps with the 165... (y)

Joec7651 - excellent results from your handloads! Congrats. Great rifle & great load!

Guy

Joec7651":ibfe0qck said:
So, with the ranges closed, I went “coyote” hunting today and happened to find my Magnetospeed in my pack. THEN, I stumbled upon a roughly 10’ tall earth ledge. What are the odds?!

Shooting prone with a bipod at 100yds measured with laser range finder, Staball aint too shabby.

-TC Venture with Boyd’s Prairie Hunter stock, in 270 Win
-24” barrel
-130 grain Nosler BT tumbled in HBN
-56gr Staball 6.5(worked up to this) with Frankfurt Arsenal Intelidropper
-CCI 200 primer
-New, sized Win brass
-COAL 3.340”, .020” off lands, measured with Hornady OAL gauge
-Two 5 shot groups, both less than 1/2”
-Groups fired as follows, Spent case ejected and bolt left open for 30 seconds between shots, rifle cooled in shade for 15 minutes between the two groups
-AVG 3128 fps (10 shots)
-ES 17 (10 shots)
-SD 5.5 (10 shots)
-74 degrees Fahrenheit in the sun, about 70% humidity
-No pressure signs(easy on primers), easy bolt lift with what seemed lighter than normal recoil compared to my IMR 4831 loads, no measurement though

I like the powder so far, and I’m sticking with this load for deer. To me it’s pushing a BT pretty hard as it is. Gonna work on 130 grain Partition, and Hot Cor loads with it also. It’s not magic dust, but I’ve tried some much less consistent. Seeing as I have 15 lbs of it left, it’s good enough. I got an 8lb jug, then my wife and Mother-in-Law bought me another one before I had fired a round of it. Lol

Got skunked on Pasture Poodles this time though. I’ve dyed her sling black, so no brown now.
Great accuracy !!!! Burn rate's close to W760 is my guess.....

Back