Got to try out my hotcor load today on 1st deer of the seaso

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Was able to bag a doe today to break the ice this season on the rifle opener. She was slightly quartered away, very slightly. Shot was 202 yards according to the rangefinder. Load was 42 grains of RL17 with 140 grain hotcor in the 6.5 creedmoor for 2745 fps. Happy with performance. Was close to being a little low on the shot. Was standing using the primos trigger stick. Which helped a lot, but was still tough to keep steady.
25763ffb2ff57c3d0fa9ee02f62138ce.jpg
56f6d8fab789bcc5d2659790fcf8ac65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! Looks like it worked excellent.

Did you find any parts of the bullet?

I did not pretty sure it exited just on the right side of the brisket. She only made it about 40 yards out into a cutover. First 20 yards could not find any blood. Then found what looked to be a large portion of maybe the heart. Then the blood trail really opened up the last 20 yards. I guess maybe that large chunk of heart or whatever it was might have been plugging the exit hole ?

I'm happy with their performance. Especially since I finally found an accurate load. And it was faster than I imagined. They clocked 2745 over the chronograph today I was hoping to to get around 2700 so I was happy.

Back