green mountian barrels

muzz

Handloader
Nov 11, 2014
Has anyone used a green mountain barrel? I have a shilen barrel in 280AI on my remington now. Thinking of going to a different cal.

I've had two of them. One I built a 6.5-284 out of and it shot around 1 1/2". The other I built a 6.5x300wm with and it shoots around 3/8". For me it's not worth cutting corners with a barrel since it's about 95% of the accuracy potential in a rifle. Most people have to pay to have a barrel installed so that money is wasted if the barrel doesn't shoot. The bargain barrel doesn't look like such a bargain anymore if it becomes a tomato stake.

The only Green mountain barrels I've used were replacement barrels for the Thompson Center Hawken black powder rifles. They were better than the average factory rifle but don't know anything about their modern barrels.

IdahoCTD":2qsoayu6 said:
I've had two of them. One I built a 6.5-284 out of and it shot around 1 1/2". The other I built a 6.5x300wm with and it shoots around 3/8". For me it's not worth cutting corners with a barrel since it's about 95% of the accuracy potential in a rifle. Most people have to pay to have a barrel installed so that money is wasted if the barrel doesn't shoot. The bargain barrel doesn't look like such a bargain anymore if it becomes a tomato stake.

This has become my way of thinking too, although I've never had bad luck w/ inexpensive barrels.

My 257 AI, my first custom, has a cheapo Adams & Bennett F34 contour CM from MidwayUSA and shoots lights out! Midway has since gone to Green Mtn but I haven't heard reviews.

I have one now chambered in 7x57 it's going on a 1908 Brazilian Mauser that will be my new deer rifle, patterned after an early commercial Mauser sporter. I'm doing all the work myself on the barrel so if it doesn't shoot it won't be a huge hit.

I'd just go Pac-Nor or some premium barrel maker. CM action blueprinted chambered and all for around $600. It's too cheap not to do it right.

Back