Gun Coatings question?

swampbuck

Beginner
Aug 16, 2007
I would like to apply a coating(duracoat or maybe cerakote) to my blued action and possibly my stainless barrel. I have an interarms mark x action that looks good but rust easily. I clean it often and when it gets wet, but I want to make it more weather resistant. I haven't had luck finding any good instructions on application without buying it first. The biggest question i have is how to know where it can and can't be applied; trigger assemblies around the bolt, swrews, ect. How to keep it from getting on areas you don't want it.
I have no experience with coatings, but it is something i'd like to do myself.

Thanks

I had a 700 Remington Action only did here over the weekend. I removed the trigger and firing pin assembly and the ejector an spring. It was bead blasted to strip all the old finish off an then cleaned in a special solution. It was put in a heater and warmed enough to make coating stick better. The coating was applied with an air brush and returned to the heater for 1 hour at 350 degrees. The color was OD green and it came out beautiful. I will be shipping it to my gunsmith on Weds. along with a match grade Shilen Stainless barrel #3 contour in 30 cal. to be chambered for the 308 Win. You can buy these coating from Brownells and their technicians can walk you through the process. Brownells PH# 1-800-741-0015 or
brownells.com
Hope this helps.

Back