Gun Painting???

remmy1187

Beginner
Oct 22, 2012
Has anybody painted any of their guns? Trying to decide between duracoat or alumahyde II from Brownells. Just converted my old 870 into a home defense/tactical shotgun and wanted to paint the receiver and barrel a tan or od green to offset the black stock and forend, and was curious if anyone knew which paint was better, as in more durable. Thanks, Brian

I have done a few Glock frames in Duracoat after putting a custom Accraglass beavertail on them with no issues at all. My G19 was my carry gun for a few years and it still looks like the day I sprayed it on.

I also sprayed a couple upper fork covers for a friends Harley flat black and they have been on his bike for a little over 70,000 miles with zero peel or flake off. He rides year round.

I have used CeraKote. Easy to apply and clean up. Biggest tips I can give you is spend a little money on a good airbrush. I got the Pasche from Brownells. Make sure everything is clean and your in a closed environment. When you think you have everything clean clean it one more time. I used the air dry stuff and it works and looks great.

I was also looking into the cerama-coat from wheeler engineering. Has anyone used any of the aerosol coatings? The alumahyde got good reviews on Brownells site. I am really just wanting something that is more durable than regular old rattle can paint.

Numerous paint jobs, on here, do a search or scream for """help""" There are some talented folks here at painting with lots of information. Sadly I am not one of them.

Been doing some cerakote works, In my personal opinion is the best stuff there is.-
Can be oven cure or air dry, buy a gud hvlp gun with a small compressor, set it
correctly, follow the procedures, and youll get nice jobs.

Finishing is mostly in the prep. Make sure the surface is prepared\properly cleaned and you can get good results from just about any of the products.

PS - Duracoat is just repackaged and marked up Sherwin Williams Polane. And while it's a pretty tough finish once cured you can't use it for internal parts.

G'Day Fella's,

Remmy 1187, I apply Cerakote to the sound suppressors/silencers that I manufacture but I use the Air Cure version for this.
The Heat Cure version of Cerakote can be applied a lot thinner and gives a firearm a really nice "Almost" custom Rust Blue look to it!

The reason I use the Air Cure version on the suppressors/silencers, is it has a capacity to better cope with extreme heat than the Heat Cure version!
It actually gets tougher with every exposure to extreme heat, which is just what is required for these muzzle accessories!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Thanks fellas, I much appreciate all your replies. I think I will look into an airbrush/compressor and Cerakote.

Back