H4831 vs H4831 sc

Swamp Hunter 38

Beginner
Sep 7, 2009
Can I assume that H4831 can be substituted for H4831sc ? I know the physical difference but will it affect the burn or velocity? I think not but I'm not 100% sure.

They are the same thing, but H4831 sc is cut shorter so it will pack into a case easier then the normal, and in some cases like our 7mm rem mag it allows us to add more powder then just the normal H4831.

corbin9191":1xwesqnw said:
They are the same thing, but H4831 sc is cut shorter so it will pack into a case easier then the normal, and in some cases like our 7mm rem mag it allows us to add more powder then just the normal H4831.

Yep, that's correct.

There may be slight differences in actual burn rate, but it's dramatically less than the lot-to-lot variation for the powder overall (for any powder). Use the data interchangeably. I've not noticed a major difference with H4831 v. H4831sc, but I have noticed a consistent difference in velocities between IMR7828 v. IMR7828ssc, across several lots of each. Go figure...

I've always figured the SC is probably the same base, with a heavier application of the retardant as compared to the standard powders. I use the data interchangeably, but I've noticed that I get lower velocities from the SC out of short barrels.

dubyam":24ihpgfo said:
There may be slight differences in actual burn rate, but it's dramatically less than the lot-to-lot variation for the powder overall (for any powder). Use the data interchangeably. I've not noticed a major difference with H4831 v. H4831sc, but I have noticed a consistent difference in velocities between IMR7828 v. IMR7828ssc, across several lots of each. Go figure...

That is what I have found to be true, and there is no mention of this in any of the new load manuals.

IMR7828ssc has opened some new doors with several cartridges where standard 7828 topped out in charge or was a compressed load. The three cartridges I have noticed the biggest differences in both charge weight and velocity are the .243 Win, 25-06, and the .280 Rem. I suspect the .257 Roy might show something similar.

Much to the opposite of what you're getting, Antelope Sniper, I'm actually getting improved velocities with the 7828ssc v. regular 7828. By 35-70fps, even.

Swamp Hunter 38

Same powder, just a short cut for better metering.

JD338

I like these new short-cut powders. Used to get very frustrated trying to throw accurate charges with the older powders. The "new" SC powders seem to do much better.

I don't think Hodgdon even calls their H4350 SC anymore, believe it's all nice and short. I use a lot of that stuff, it's proven to work real well for me in several rifles: .375, .30-06, .25-06 and the 6mm Rem.

Those short sticks are a terrific improvement!

Well, the results are consistent in the 26" barrel, at least. I've not shot it out of anything shorter.

Back