Handgun Ballistic Gel Testing

The wider expansion acts like a parachute to slow it down faster and inpeed penetration. Same is true with magnum vs. standard rifle loads ie: 308 Win 180 gr vs. 300 Win Mag 180 gr. The difference is the energy dump of the magnum.
Just more food for thought. 🤔

JD338
Exactly, It's better to expend all the energy inside the intruder than a pass through.

Has anyone seen a full FBI protocol test on the Federal HST rounds, especially 9mm. Never mind I found it at Federal law enforcement.

Last edited:
I have never shot anything more than 124grns in my 9mm. Anything I need to know/check before I try 147 grns
Depending on distance you are shooting, and your particular handgun, you may see a point of impact shift, so re-zeroing could be in your future.

I have never shot anything more than 124grns in my 9mm. Anything I need to know/check before I try 147 grns
The 147 XTPs are actually a boat tailed bullet, which I thought was both kind of neat and odd... I have and load both the 124g at 1200fps and 147g at 1050fps in my Sig M17 9mm with AA#7. The 147s are just a tad more accurate. I load both to +P for personal protection rounds. They both shoot about the same POI at 25 yards. I take the 124s around town, and the 147s in the mountains.

Snapchat-139615979.jpg
20240324_151430.jpg

And you are absolutely correct. As I said, I think those look amazing, I simply do not see that there is sufficient value in them - for me - to spend the money on them. Looking at the two side by side, I also find it interesting that the heavier bullet actually averages less penetration than the lighter bullet. I would have expected that the lighter, faster bullet would lose energy faster and penetrate less. That the 147 opens so much more that is has 2 inches less penetration is interesting.
The wider expansion acts like a parachute to slow it down faster and inpeed penetration. Same is true with magnum vs. standard rifle loads ie: 308 Win 180 gr vs. 300 Win Mag 180 gr. The difference is the energy dump of the magnum.
Just more food for thought. 🤔

JD338
I personally use FMJs for practice at the range. I get “cheap” ones and use them to do my thing.
When using for self defense I really am looking for something with stopping power. With this in mind I really find interest in the 147 HSTs. I want the energy dump, and these seem to show that in these tests.
Also that many LEOs use these lends a certain amount of trust as well.
Knowing they’re going to be more expensive than my practice rounds I’ll buy a few boxes and use those solely for self defense purposes. I’ll shoot a mag or two to know how they land, and to be confident with them.
I realize that penetration is of some importance, but it can also be a disadvantage in that it can travel through things unintentionally such as walls and things of that nature. I’m probably not going to have to worry in most cases about body armor, and only about getting through clothing if need be. So the energy dump, and stopping power is what I’m really looking for. Also something that is reliable, and the hydra-shots don’t seem to be.

For my 45 acp
Lehigh extreme defender 130 gr at 1250 fps.
38 spcl 100 gr at 1000 fps
32 acp 50 gr at 960 fps
9mm 68 gr 1500 fps

Last edited:
Back