Hard Work Pays Off... Only a cow though...

bucknvelvet

Beginner
Jul 26, 2006
I was fortunate to take this, this morning. The hunt opened yesterday (Oct 20). I made a 453 yard shot accross a canyon with my 7mm magnum. She was quartered away, the bullet entered in about the 10th rib and exited unbeliveably just in front of the right front shoulder. She droped like a rock. My father and I had a fun time dragin her out. Dressed and quartered she weighed 260lbs. Not huge but good enough for my last day. It was a fun hunt.........I used 175 grain nosler Partition. with 62.5 gr. of Rl-22. Thanks for the help guys!
adamselk001.jpg

adamselk002.jpg

bucknvelvet,

Congratulations on your elk. Good shooting and a bunch of memories made with your dad. Awesome!

JD338

Congrats and great shot. Looks like those 175g PT's put the big hurt on her. Just out of curiousity, hows your accuracy and velocity like with those 175's and RL-22?? Reason I"m asking is I'm gonna start working up a laod here in about a week with 175g Gamekings and RL-22.

remingtonman_25_06,

I am not sure about the veloctiy on them, I dont have a chrono yet. Im guessing around "2970". I get a group at 200 yards the size of a silver dollar but they kick pretty good. Soo far thats all ive got. Im going to expiriment with a smoother burning powder over the off season. All i can say is they shoot about 4 inches higher than fac. winchesters though...

Great memories w/ Dad! dont get no better than that. Any Elk is an impressive accomplishment. Your day for a big wall hanger will come- it looks like to me. Congrats!! CL

Awesome! Thanx for sharing.
What do you mean "ONLY A COW"?????

An elk is always a trophy!!!! 8)

Congrats, you will sure appreciate that meat when you think of all the work you guys did.

But I have 2 questions . . . :lol: How come your dad's hands have all the blood on them? And are you going to eat that thing right there at the campfire . . . noticed the burnt wood. :lol:

Long

longwinters,

haha very perceptive...My dads hands are covered in blood cause we had already field dressed her by the time the camera arrived. Also i shot her in a burn area where the 1990 "Dude Fire" took place in payson, Az. Over 2000 acres were burnt. that explains the wood. not many know it but it is an elk highway early morning late night. all the fresh growth and canyons its beautiful.

Back