HELP!!!! 300 WM Loads with Nosler Part. Golds

HuntTexas

Beginner
Nov 15, 2004
Anyone out there shooting a 300 with the 150gr. PartGold Moly Frees? I have had HORRIBLE accuracy in three of my rifles chambered in 300WM with this particular bullet. Have tried mostly slower burners like RL22, H1000 among others, but still have yet to get less than 5.75" groups with 5 shots. These same bullets shoot beautifully in my 06 and my 300 WSM, but the full length mags just won't tighten up the groups for some reason. I have tried everything from checking bullet run-out and concentricity to playing with the neck tension. Have seated bullet right at lands and have moved back in .001" increments to .010" from lands with no luck. Tried different cases and primer combos as well. All cases are culled and weighed individually to allow for no more than .5gr in case weight difference per string and all charges are thrown by hand. These rifles shoot beautiful sub MOA groups with SRA or NOS match grade bullets, but I really would like to get the PG to shoot as I will be taking one of these rifles on an elk and moose hunt very soon and want to make sure that I have a bullet I can trust since I KNOW this is the year I will bag the big daddy! :) Anyone with info or advice out there... I would GREATLY appreciate any input. Nosler told me to try some of the 4350's so guess i'll try out AA, Hodgdon, and some IMR 4350 to see if they work. Not holding my breath though.... :) Thanks!

T Harris
Nacogdoches, Texas

I think Socrates put it best when he said... "I drank what?!"

Your rifle may have a very rough bore, a serious bedding problem, or your scope might have a serious problem.

Have you shot any other loads in that rifle (factory, or handloads with different bullets)? How did it shoot?

George

Bbls are spotless and meticulously maintained. All three rifles shoot sub-MOA groups with at least 3 or 4 other handloads. This is the only bullet that I have not been able to get to shoot an acceptable group. Just prior to writing the first topic above, I had electrochemically cleaned all three rifles and fired them with some other hunting loads that shoot well within 1".

TH

I think Socrates put it best when he said... "I drank what?!"

Okay, that fills in a number of blanks. :wink:

I have been working with the moly-coated Partitions in my .270 recently, and noticed that they are less accurate in my rifle than the Swift A-Frames.

I have been attributing it to a lack of moly-conditioning of my bore. Everything I had read about moly stated that you had to coat the bore as well. Perhaps this is the reason they aren't shooting well.

George

Actually, these are the moly free bullets. Though I do know what you mean by losing accuracy when switching from plain Cu jackets to moly coated ones. I have one rifle (a model 700 in 30/06) which I can shoot Cu OR Moly coats without conditioning and it's fine. However, in most of my other rifles (especially the mags), I have found that I HAVE to condition the bore before shooting a moly bullet, and then, I have to clean it VERY well before it will shoot the plain Cu jackets well again. Guess it really kind of depends on what your particular rifle likes. After trying about 5 or 6 different products to condition my bbls, I finally stuck with the Lyman Super-Moly and have never looked back since. Not only is it one of the least expensive products, but it has given me the best results so far. Anyhow, gonna head to the range to try out some Varget and two of the 4350's in my 300's to see how the faster powders do. Hopefully, i'll see at least a little improvement. Heck, i'd be happy to at least see a 4" group at 100yds at this point haha! :) Thanks for the help thus far George. I appreciate your input. Anything else you might have for me will be VERY welcomed!! Take care.

Terry

BTW: One thing I have to keep reminding myself of with these Partitions is the construction differences as compared to other bullets. I've noticed a pronounced increase in pressures here and started working about 5-10% below published load data. However, i've really only noticed this in two of my rifles so far. One is a 300WM and the other is a 30-338 Lapua Mag (wildcat). With the 300 I stay about 5-7% below and around 10% with the 30-338. Unfortuantely, since the Lapua is a wildcat, I have no load data to follow and just have to work up loads VERY slowly and carefully!!

I think Socrates put it best when he said..."I drank what?!"

Oof! I really screwed the pooch on this one! Damn Nosler for naming a bullet 'Moly-free' when they should have renamed the moly-coated bullets instead! :wink:

George

With regular 150 partitions and a decent load of h4831, f215 primers and ww brass gets me some really pretty 1/2 inch groups in my 300 win. I know its not the Part Gold but the load shoots well in my last three 300 wins.

Interesting... Might give some of the regular partitions a try to see if that makes any difference. I tried several strings of H and IMR 4831 and I actually got about 4" this time. Had some luck with Varget and IMR4064 as well so might try some other powders between these burn rates. I do know one thing... with the H4831, I was able to put one of these bullets through a 9" lodgpole pine from about 50 or 60 yards away. I recovered the bullet and it was still mostly intact! Looks like it's definitely got some good knockdown power and will most likely hold together quite well in a hunting scenario. Now, if I can just get it to shoot straight! AARGH!!! Anyhow, thanks a bunch for the input. One more question though; what type of rifle(s) are you using? How 'bout your loads?

TH

The three 300's are/where a Savage 110 wood blued, Tikka 695 stainless steel and now a rem 700 CDL. I really like the CDL and I think this might be my last 300 Win. As for the load I found the sweet spot around 79 grains of H4831 and seated just off the rifling.
An interesting thing I found this morning before work. 75 grains of h4831 is a classic load with conventional bullets 180 grain bullets. I shot one group with 180 deep shocks (now discontinued) and got a 4 1/2 inch four shot group. I then shot a three shot .88 inch group with interlocks. The only difference was the brass was once fired in the second load (shouldn't have made that much difference). Maybe your rifle will love a different wieght or slightly diffent bullet.
Don't just throw a Partition, aframe, bearclaw, failsafe or x bullet in with that 180 grain load you might regrete it when you have that bolt handle sticking out of your eye socket. It can be a real work up load with premium bullets.
In my rifles that I've shot them in the accubonds shoot like a ballistic tip (awesome) and hit like a Partition. Eventually I'll work up loads for them in most of my hunting rifles. If you have the time you might want to give them a try.

HuntTexas":3vkxv9c9 said:
Interesting... Might give some of the regular partitions a try to see if that makes any difference. I tried several strings of H and IMR 4831 and I actually got about 4" this time. Had some luck with Varget and IMR4064 as well so might try some other powders between these burn rates. I do know one thing... with the H4831, I was able to put one of these bullets through a 9" lodgpole pine from about 50 or 60 yards away. I recovered the bullet and it was still mostly intact! Looks like it's definitely got some good knockdown power and will most likely hold together quite well in a hunting scenario. Now, if I can just get it to shoot straight! AARGH!!! Anyhow, thanks a bunch for the input. One more question though; what type of rifle(s) are you using? How 'bout your loads?

TH

HuntTexas,

Are the "other" loads you are shooting of the same 150 gr bullet weight? I am just thinking that since the Partition is moved forward in the PT Golds, your rifle just doesn't like them.
What about going to the 180 gr PT Gold? It would ge a great bullet for both elk and moose. I did some loading for a friend's M70 300 Win Mag
180 gr PT Gold, 75.5 grs of RL22 (MAX LOAD) Fed case and Fed GM215 primers. He was getting .75" groups at 100 yds.

Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

JD338

Hey thanks for the info. It has been the 150's that i've been using. I agree with you on the fact that my rifle just doesn't like them. The 180's don't do too much better in that particular rifle. That bbl likes the heavier bullets for some reason. It will put the 200gr SMK into .25" all day long. I just pulled the bbl and will be putting a Hart 1:10" twist bbl on it to handle the 150's and the smaller bullets. It has about 500 rnds through it so it could be just getting worn out. Hopefully this bbl will like the partitions a little better! I'm actually going to start working more with the accubonds to see how I like them. Again, thanks for the input.

TH

I most definitely plan on it! I've had good luck with the 200's in my 30-338 and my 30-416. I'm expecting some good results with the new bbl. Only problem is seating depth. I'm having the bbl chambered with a short throat so I can take advantage of the lighter bullets. I'm worried that the bullet may be seated a little too deeply in the case.

TH

I'm awfully late to this thread but I have to ask why in the world a 300 win mag shooter would consider using any 150 gr bullet for moose and elk? It might work but just doesn't seem like a wise or humane choice to me.

I shoot a 300 win mag mostly with 180 gr partitions and get excellent accuracy (.9" to 1.25" day in day out), with H4831 and IMR 4831. I prefer the IMR version at about 70 to 73 grains with CCI mag rifle or Fed 215 primers, Rem brass of about 235 to 239 gr wt and bullets seated out quite a bit. I get about 2950 fps from this load. I can get a little over 3000 fps but prefer performance of a little slower load. My gun is a custom HS precision barrel, with a longish throat and rem 700 action. This load has accounted for 3 moose at 40 to 120 yards, about 18 caribou and 4 sitka black tails.

I also get great accuracy with 165 partitions in this gun - the minimum bullet I would use on moose.

I get top accuracy in my 30-06 with the 180 partitions, 53-55 gr IMR 4350, Rem cases and CCI std rifle primers.

its probaly a twist issue, don''t think you stated what make your 300 mag was, any way 500 rounds should not wear out that barrel of yours no pun-intended, your new 1-10 twist heart should be kik- butt accurate, i''m haveing one built 30-06 1-10 twist # 5 conture screwed into a 1938 turkish mauser action, your choice of bullets is great and all the powders you tryed are great, a friend of mine shot a killed a caribou at 715 yards with his 300 win mag with 150 grain nosler ballistic tips,and i shot my best group at 600 yards with the same above bullet 9/16''s 3 shot''s 308 target rifle, also 1-10 twist, :) it comes down to choices heck thats half the fun, regards ...jjmp :wink:

Back