Help picking a Rangefinder

2elkhunt

Beginner
Dec 13, 2006
I.m looking at the Bushnell DX 1000 and Luepold RX 1200i. Can ya'll help me with the choice?

Thanks

I have neither but picked up a Leica RF1000 from Cameraland as a demo. Awesome piece of kit and seems reasonably priced.

Ditto for the Leica RF1000, also from Cameraland as a demo.. Will give it the real test in Montana in about 3 weeks.. Be aware the warranty on the demo is 30 days and you do not know if the battery is fresh or lightly used. Mine will have a fresh battery before going afield.. :grin:

Used my Leica up at DrMike's & it worked perfectly and this past weekend went to use it & it will not give me a range :(. The unit is just 3 years old, I have emailed Leica this past Monday but I have not heard back from them :cry:.
I was advised they only gave a 24 month warranty, I hope they can repair it

Blessings,
Dan

Don't own one but thinking about getting one. Look at the Vortex ranger 1000 at Cameraland open box $329 and a life time warranty with free replacement. I don't think you could go wrong for that price and if it breaks send it back and get a new one free.

The Leica's have the smallest beam divergence and that typically means the most accurate ranging. I would get a Leica 1000, 1200, or 1600 depending on what your intended shooting distance is. In flat open country most rangefinders don't read reliably past 1/2 their rated distance and some won't even do that. The Leica's are better than that but still struggle past 2/3 to 3/4 of their rated distance.

Dan,

Some Leica's can be finicky about their battery. Did you change the battery out?

What IdahoCTD said about flat, open country. Small targets, antelope etc. are tough to range, even in open cut crop areas.

I have Leica 1600b.... It'll reliably range anything with hair well past 1,000 yards.... If you can hold it still enough.

It'll range out to around 150 yards through the shoot through mesh on my ground blind.

Great rangefinder.... Absolutely great!

thanks for the advice guys, i like the looks and reviews of the Leica's, but they cost a little more than i want to spend right now. I did like the reviews of the vortex ranger 1000 and I found a good deal on one as well and the lifetime warranty is just hard to pass up.

Thanks again, i hope these let me down

IdahoCTD, yes I did change the battery but it still will not work :(. I emailed Leica again and they got back to me advising me that I have to send it to New Jersey and then in order to get it back across the border I will have to fill out a barrage of documents because of the Homeland Security laws :(! I am kinda worried that if I send it that it might not come back. Oh well it really does not benefit me the way it is now so I will likely send it back next week.
I guess this is a good test to see how Leica's Customer Service is :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

I have the Leupold RX-1200i-TBR and compared range readings with my friend G7 range finder and it was right on for the ranges we were checking. If you go the Leupold route get the TBR model, has angle compensation, choices of drop in inches, moa and mil. I also like the fact that the range finder is small so it's not to bulky to carry.

What is your $$$$ limit?
With optics you get what you pay for.

Have been using the Swarovski for quite a few years. Still love that thing. It's been terrific and is a "must have" on my hunts.

Guy

Back