Help with split cases

Bigborefan

Beginner
Dec 2, 2019
I've been slowly trying to find a good load for my .223 wylde AR, it's not easy these days. I was able to get some new Starline 5.56 brass from the manufacturer awhile back and tried a few loads this past weekend.

Out of 15 rounds 8 split down the body of the case. Everything else was fine. Groups were ok, primers looked good, no signs of over pressure. My previous load development was with some LC brass I had and I did not have this problem. After I noticed the split cases I fired 10 factory LC 55gr and some handloaded 55gr mixed brass plinking loads with no issues.

Bullets were speer 62gr gold dots and powder was AA2460 with cci SRP following speer load data.

Any idea what caused the cases to split like that? I'm guessing faulty brass since everything else I've fired in this rifle has been fine but wanted to get some opinions.

In the pics the top 5 and left are the Starline, bottom and right are factory LC for reference.

Thanks in advance!
ad64e97ce24843d7f4b34d3637cbd8ee.jpg
4f54f194c8abbe2fdfa7e4eb3970f28b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'll say it's bad brass . with the rifle not having this problem when using lake city brass , points to the problem being the starline brass .

I'm thinking manufactures are in the same boat as us , they can't get the same raw materials they usually use , so they are making due with what they can get . we end users are the ones that suffer .

Contact Starline and arrange replacement of the lot you have purchased. I wouldn't have expected this from Starline as they are a top notch company, but it happens.

Sorry for the late response, we had some trouble getting access to this forum. We have spoken with Bigborefan about this issue. If anyone ever needs to contact us at Starline Brass just shoot us an email at info@starlinebrass.com or give us a call - 800-280-6660. We'll be happy to help however we can.

I apologize. I had intended on updating this post after our emails, last few days been busy for me.

Starline customer service is top notch! I've been using their brass for years on multiple pistol calibers and two rifle calibers, never an issue until this one and they are making it right. I will definitely keep using their products!

Glad you were not hurt and Starline is taking care of you. Rifle was not damaged? CL

Rifle is fine, if I hadn't looked at the brass I would have never known. Shots sounded normal, recoil was normal, and groups were ok.

I've always liked starline brass, and will continue to use them. Things happen.

Bigborefan":nnd26ygd said:
I apologize. I had intended on updating this post after our emails, last few days been busy for me.

Starline customer service is top notch! I've been using their brass for years on multiple pistol calibers and two rifle calibers, never an issue until this one and they are making it right. I will definitely keep using their products!

I’m glad things worked out for you. Starline brass has been and still is of the highest quality. I have never had a single problem with their products, and had no doubt that they would make things right. Great Starline customer service as always.

Back